Best practice: Seafile on Windows 2016

hey guys,

I wanted to ask what’s the current best practice to use SeafileServer on Windows 2016.
Until today we used the native Windows version (more or less working) but today I read that native Windows support is going to be dropped ( Future of Seafile Server for Windows? ).
In another thread some docker images were mentioned but their future support was clearly stated as “unsure”.
And the third possibility seems to be a linux server running in a VM on the Windows machine.

What’s the specific advantages and disadvantages of each solution and what’s the best thing to stick to?

Thanks for your assessments.

I have over 10 years experience in Microsoft Server and Client.
But I wanted to have the Professional Version, so I decided to skill up in Ubuntu.

Its not something you can pick up in a few days or weeks. But I like it so far because its new and gives me more knowledge beside Microsoft. Putting a Linux VM in a microsoft Host won’t get you arround the problem of having to maintain and do stuff in Linux.
But I do have my preproduction-linux Server on a VM on my Windows Host to try things before I do them on the production-linux Server.

I currently made a Guide for Ubuntu 18.04 on how to setup Seafile and do all the preperation on the OS.
I still working on the last bits but its 80 % finished:

You could get a feeling what’s coming towards you be reading that.

Besides that I had to get familar with Raid on Ubuntu and some Hardware near things like HDD Sleep timers.
And Cronjobs are still to come, to automize stuff.

It’s up to you. My opinion is: if you like seafile you should go as nativ as possible and that seems to be Unix/Linux.

If you need some help getting started or planing you could also contact me.

btw:
I this for private or company ?

2 Likes

I am aware of that. I have basic knowledge of linux (debian) already but never worked in a virtualized environment with it. I am not sure how much configuration is needed to have it working in a decent manner and how it is affecting security and overall functions on both OS.

I will surely do. Thanks for the link and your efforts.

I’d say both/neither. It’s for a nonprofit organzisation. That’s also why I just can’t put up a new linux machine and let in run there. They do not have a decent internet connection and so they already had to rent that Windows Machine - another machine would be overkill which is why I wanted to see if there are any other options that could work nicely…

What have you found out so far according to the future development of the windows version?
If it’s not good then go for a VM and install the community edition or pro edition if less than 4 users. You can use oracle’s virtual box to create and host VMs. You can also use snapshots bevor you do stuff to be able to rewind things. This might be a good way to go if you are new to Unix like me

According to seafile, support seems to be dropped, as seen in

I am just not sure if docker or VM is to be preferred over each other - or if there is even any opensource-development going on to have the native Windows-Version continued

Who knows what will happen to docker if even windows server gets cut off. I would go for Linux in a VM if you ask me

1 Like

Please add your knowledge to the Community manual. Currently it does not contain any information regarding Ubuntu 18.
Thanks