Bug : Pictures disappear on Seadrive/MacOS/PowerPoint

I am not sure if you describe the same issue than me. Here it is :

1. Client A open a file “V4.pptx”
  2. Client B save the file as “V5.pptx” and then edit it, save and close
  3. Client A keep “V4.pptx” open, edit it, save and close
  4. I would expect this is 2 differents files so no link between them. But by then, if any client open “V5.pptx” without opening “V4.pptx”, all pictures are damaged. If any client open “V4.pptx”, keep it open, and then open “V5.pptx”, then pictures are not corrupted.

Perhaps somehow Office shares some information between the two opened files. So if one if overwritten by 3rd party program, it would damage both.

Screenshot 2022-05-16 at 23.16.26

I must tell you that we have the same problem still. It is affecting both Keynote and Powerpoint, and probably a lot of other apps too. Just because these particular apps are often having changes done by multiple users at the same time.

I made an experiment. I set up SMB networking and tried to edit the same Keynote file in both computer, both the one hosting the file and the SMB client computer. Both running OSX.

Then when I tried to save the first file, it was OK, when I tried to save the second file I got a message like this:
" The document “TestConcurrentWrite” could not be saved. The file has been changed by another application. "
Due to these unexpected changes, Keynote may be unable to save your changes. Click Revert to load the changes made by the other application. Click Save Anyway to attempt to overwrite the changes made by the other application. You can also click Save As to attempt to save your changes to a different file.

I got options to Revert, Save anyway, Save as.

Makes sense. but why not when concurrently saving to Seadrive?
Is it some hidden OSX feature, since this is a network drive, OSX will understand that it can have changes from other users? How is Seadrive working, can we change the type of drive and have OSX treat it differently? Can we disable cache?

Here is an idea, what if disabling cache could help here? Could it be that OSXFUSE believes it has the latest data and does not see that another user changed the file?
I think this could be relevant maybe?
https://github-wiki-see.page/m/osxfuse/osxfuse/wiki/Mount-options

nolocalcaches

The nolocalcaches option disables (in the kernel) the unified buffer cache (UBC), vnode name caching, attribute caching, and readaheads. This means the kernel will have to call the user-space file system upon every operation. The purported “benefit” is that the kernel would be able to “pick up” file changes that occur unbeknownst to the kernel.

For example, in the case of SSHFS, if a file was changed on the server, macFUSE has no way of knowing about it–with nolocalcaches, macFUSE will have no cached information and will be forced to talk to the sshfs program. The SSHFS program has its own cache, which you can also disable using the cache=no option. If all caching is thus disabled, all operations would end up going to go to the SFTP server, resulting in an apparently up-to-date view of the remote file system. There are major caveats, however. nolocalcaches makes the operating system work in an abnormal mode, so the relevant code paths may not have been well tested. The option also creates significant overhead–file operations could end up being much slower. Besides, since SFTP provides no synchronization or locking, there are no consistency or ordering guarantees if multiple clients write to the same file concurrently. My strong suggestion is to realize that SFTP is merely a utility to access remote data, and not a means of distributed file sharing in the same vein as NFS, AFS, Coda, and so on. Of course, you are welcome to create a true distributed file system based on macFUSE.

@Jonathan did you see this?

SeaDrive may not support some features required to provide such behavior. For example, this behavior may rely on extended attributes on the file, which is not fully supported by SeaDrive.

In the near future, we’re working on a new version of SeaDrive with file provider API from macOS. These native OS API may better support applications.

Good news if you are working on macOS API.

I had sent to you files (V4, V5) few month ago so that you can reproduce this issue (see messages before).

Also, we did desactivate SOPHOS on all our computers (macOS) for several months. However we still have pictures that disappear when 2 computers opening a power point in same time, even if we rename file or close it. It is like if files do not close properly and pictures are copied only once in one of the power point, and then the 2nd power point cannont access those pictures anymore …

I am glad to know that you are working on this issue…

Good luck,
Céline PORHEL

Great news with new version!

We have a current workaround

Saving all keynote files with extension .kth and all powerpoint files as .potx. This will force users to save as and original files would not be touched.

Kind regards
Jens

Hello Jens,

Thanks for sharing your workaround with us.

However I am not sure I understand well. Could explain with more details how it can solve the issue ?

I understand this is to protect integraty of original file. In our exemple, users did use “Save as” to create a second file, but then this file cannot retrieve picture if the first file is not open anymore …

Thank you in advance,

Céline PORHEL