Build packages for distributions

I am evaluation Seafile Pro for several big customer projects (some starting with XX TB and some even with XX PB, both with many user accounts - so these project will create new paying customers for Seafile). So it’s Seafile vs Nextcloud and I’d rather go for Seafile but there are some points which hurt the choice for Seafile a lot and certain things have to change before I can put my reputation on the line for Seafile.

Going through the manual I discovered that there a some libs that require manual removal of certain files depending on the distribution. Building Seafile with CentOS and allowing it to run on other distros, having to remove or change any files is not a good approach to give customers the felling that this software is stable and its build carefully planned.

@daniel.pan
Please consider building Seafile packages for the following distributions, that contain all required libraries already, so that updating Seafile becomes more stable and reliable overall including libraries and more.
Especially enterprise customers ofter work with RedHat or SuSe, hence Seafile should be compatible if it should sell to them.

Having a good build pipeline it is easy to build any software automatically with multiple distributions, so there is not more manpower required to do this, once setup properly.

• CentOS

• Ubuntu

• Debian

• RedHat

• SuSe

It is of utmost importance that Seafile (especially Pro) is available and compatible for/with the latest stable distro release. Meaning that e.g. Ubuntu 18 or Debian 9 is supported one or two month after public availability.

Please contact me via PM, so that we can start a conversation on how you plan to proceed.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,

The pro edition already have two builds:

• The CentOS version works on CentOS and RedHat
  • The Ubuntu version works on Ubuntu and Debian

If you use the corresponding build, you don’t need to manually remove libraries any more.

If you use other distribution, you can use the docker version.

3 Likes

If the Pro is available for those why not the CE version?

Why is is that you tested either version just for Debian 8 and Ubuntu 16.04.
Whereas Debian 9 is out since June 2017 and Ubuntu 18 since April this year.

I understand if it takes a few weeks (to maybe month) if your team is small. But not more than a couple of month.

1 Like

@DerDanilo Pro is a commercial product. At least I can understand that there are differences between pro and CE.

To solve the issues that Seafile is always behind I think automation should be very helpful. Once the build has been automated it isn’t really a matter to build for another OS as well (Especially for new Debian and Ubuntu versions).

1 Like

Hi Daniel,

I’m sorry to answer to such an old question but we are currently upgrading our “old” Seafile Pro standalone server to the latest version… and it’s a long journey.

The first step was to install the latest 6 version. Thanks to the information grabbed in this forum we updated a lot of configuration (CORS, no more fastcgi for Seahub and so on) and we did it!

The next step is to target the latest version 7.1.x but as some persons already mentioned there is no more generic linux edition available even for Pro edition (latest version available is 7.0.17).

So as SUSE Linux users, can we continue to work with any of the CentOS or Ubuntu provided packages or do we have to migrate all our installation to a docker based one as you mention?

B.

The CentOS version can work for SUSE Linux. In the future, I recommend to use a docker based one.

Thank you for your answer, we’ll talk about a migration but is there any documentation for migration from a standalone installation to a docker based installation (mostly for data)?

Just follow the backup/restore document. The data layout is same for docker and non-docker version.