Cannot change files via web interface after upgrading to Seafile 8.0.3

Hi there, long time user here!

After upgrading from Seafile 7.1.5 to Seafile 8.0.3, any changes from the user interface (deleting files, creating new files, etc.) are getting a HTTP 403 and the message “Permission Denied”.

The seahub.log file contains the same information:
[WARNING] django.request:222 log_response Forbidden: /api/v2.1/repos/11111111-1111-1111-1111-1111111111111/file/ (repo-id replaced)

Changing files in the same folder by a connected seafile client works. The /opt/seafile/seafile-data/repo/… directories are writable by the seafile server user as expected.

What to do?

Check this post. Is it the same error?

I had to add this to my Nginx configuration to get things going again:

proxy_set_header        Cookie $http_cookie;
1 Like

Unfortunately not, although it seems to be the same issue. My nginx location configuration looks the same as in the other posts. I’ve added the proxy_set_header Cookie $http_cookie; to the location and omitted the proxy_cookie_path ~^/. “~^/. HTTPOnly; Secure”;, because it also resulted in a redirect loop. I’ve logged in and out again and deleted all cookies and storage in between - no change to the buggy behavior.

My setup is pretty standard - seafile and nginx - with the default nginx configuration as shown in the docs. Any further hints on how to proceed debugging this problem?

Are you referring to browser cache here?

yes - just to be sure that no lingering Cookies with the wrong security settings are present.

Just for reference what OS are you running? Is this Seafile CE or Pro; or Docker?

# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description:    Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
Release:        20.04
Codename:       focal

Seafile CE, direct host-installation (no Docker).

And I noticed that WebDAV does not work anymore as well.

So if I read you right, you went from a fully functional plain vanilla Seafile CE 7.1.5 on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS to an impaired, partially functioning, 8.0.3 just by running the upgrade script? Did you upgrade Ubuntu at the same time?

Yes, vanilla 7.1.5-CE to 8.0.3-CE. There were no other updates or changes to the system.

Yet the Seafile client software works fine, right?

Have you tried with a number of different browsers to confirm the web interface is the focus?

Yes - for whatever reason it works now after a reboot. I guess it was a rogue package which got automatically updated in the meantime.

That’s good news! Now, looking back on it, was the ‘proxy_set_header’ for cookies required in your Nginx config or not?

I think it doesn’t. And the seafdav-problem I had was due to a change I forgot about - not using fastcgi anymore and did not change the necessary argument in the seafdav config file.