Does the install script have the latest version?

Hi,
I did look at the install Script on github but I can’t tell if the script install the latest version of Seafile?
And does it install the latest version of MariaDB?

Tested it out for you with CentOS 7 and Ubuntu 16.04, with both versions different issues.
An error will stop the setup… resulting in a corrupt installation.

Do it manually is the hint :wink:

Ok, well then I’m guessing that I need to do it manuelly :wink: Let’s hope that I can manage to do it.

The script was managed by Alexander Jackson from Syncwerk GmbH (prior Seafile GmbH), seems the devs from Seafile don’t really care about it much, as this was brought up several times already. :slight_smile:

Ok, that’s a shame I have issues installing it on ubunt. a script hsould bee greate.

I did get it, I’m currently running CE with NGINX and MariaDB on ubuntu, it was a little struggle but now everything works fine I hope :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

yes - as i said in other threads too

@devs
PLEASE PLEASE - look and care about install scripts. it is a realy better experiance if the first test installs run with a script out of the box!! the install log includes realy nice information to do support more efficient.

1 Like

What problem did you encounter when using the automatic installation script ? Did you use the script in a totally new installed(which is important) linux system ?

Would be great if the scripts can be updated, I prefer deploying like this.
The Debian version won’t work correctly on Debian 9 because of the Java version the script tries to install.
Other problems follow after this…
It’s a clean install.

As far as I know they dropped Debian support in the install script. Supporting only Ubuntu and CentOs eliminates Seafile for some customers again.

What is the current state for the install script?

The Ubuntu script configures a lot less than the Debian one (it’s also less than half the size in lines of code). The three scripts, seafile_ubuntu, seafile_debian and seafile_centos were all modified a month ago.

1 Like

Nice to hear. But bash scripts are not the way to go. Nasty for such complex setups.
I will have a look to write ansible playbooks for most parts of the setup. But that is another thing. Longer project.

In my opinion the good thing about the scripts is that it eliminates user error in the setup. It’s also a lot quicker to get a system up and running. As I’d like to dedicate my home server to Seafile, and only Seafile, a single script to setup Seafile according to best practices (Firewall, Fail2Ban) etc. would be great.

Those ansible playbooks sound nice too!