Download speed Seafile with Nginx

Hello,

When i’m using seafile with nginx (default configuration) each download get max 19,4MB/ps
3 seperate downloads (1gbyte each) are also limited to 19,4MB/ps. (So 3x 19,4MB)
This confirms that my connection is fast enough and the 1gbit can be reached with multiple files.

How can I get the maximum speed (1gbit) for 1 download? instead of bandwidth balancing between multiple files.

Thank you.

Following…

What happens if you download a larger file (e.g. some garbage / random data with 1 GB) using nginx (without Seafile).

I’m just following alos, but is it possible that it’s your HW that are the issue?

The specs are: i7-2600 with 16GB RAM en 3TB Disks, around 700mbit with speedtests (cli):

root@cloud /home/seafile # hdparm -Tt /dev/md1

/dev/md1:
Timing cached reads: 23164 MB in 2.00 seconds = 11592.00 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 460 MB in 3.03 seconds = 151.81 MB/sec
You have new mail in /var/mail/root
root@cloud /home/seafile # hdparm -Tt /dev/md3

/dev/md3:
Timing cached reads: 23184 MB in 2.00 seconds = 11602.45 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 492 MB in 3.05 seconds = 161.34 MB/sec

Seems to be fine.
Machine is dedicated for seafile, so its overpowered for 1 testuser.

Picture shows 2 downloads at the same time: (2x 19MB/s = 38, same for 3 or 4 files…)

When downloading a file from a testdownload location, the speed is 105MB/ps, very fast.
When uploading from the server (downloading a file to my computer) with NGINX without seafile: 19,5MB/ps.

FTP Download without NGINX:

What about the latency?

Not related to the latency, it’s about 16ms, FTP is 73MB/ps, it’s not network related.

I will try apache soon.

Maybe this is the reason, but it is required to recompile nginx from scratch:

I went through that, does anybody have experience with this? I have never used it so far, maybe this could speed up nginx/seafile a lot.

But I did think nginx was better then apache2 now I’m confused.

Nginx IS better, but this is something new that we might need to consider.

@daniel.pan
Can you guys please put this to your list for improvements?

Found some interesting things… Tried apache2…

It is webbrowser related? -_- Really? Edge & IE = Max 19,4MB/s

Chrome:

Edge:

IE:

How is the seafile client working? I can see in taskmanager it is swapping between 150 to 400mbit/ps. Is it using a webkernel?

Recommendation: Firefox with Nginx… Speed is ~80MB/ps.

I will reinstall the machine without all the teststuff :slight_smile:

And again: Why not Microsoft? Edge is so fast for downloads? Really? Conclusion: No.

1 Like

now, where you say it … I’ve a vage memory that I ran into this some time ago. As I use Chrome all the time (because all other browser didn’t fit my usability needs) I possibly forgot it.

The client receives data as blocks in batches. It receives a batch, processes it and so on.