Failed to write data on the client

Hi guys - I’m running Server 6.0.7 CE on Windows 10 Pro with the Seafile 6.1.8 client on a separate Windows 10 Pro box. For some reason, I got an error message this morning on the client box saying “Failed to write data on the client. Please check disk space or folder permissions.” I have 153GB of free space on the drive, so no issues there. Folder permissions haven’t changed, or at least that I’m aware of. I’ve rebooted both the client and server machines to no avail. Other clients logged in with the same credentials and the same library seem to be synchronizing fine, so it appears to be something specific to this machine/client. I did also try running GC to see if there were any corruption issues, but none were reported.

Here’s the last chunk of the log file from the client:

http-tx-mgr.c(1153): Transfer repo ‘bad086e7’: (‘normal’, ‘data’) → (‘error’, ‘finished’)
[07/18/18 10:47:13] sync-mgr.c(801): Repo ‘My Library’ sync state transition from downloading to ‘error’: ‘Error occured in download.’.
[07/18/18 10:47:43] http-tx-mgr.c(1153): Transfer repo ‘bad086e7’: (‘normal’, ‘init’) → (‘normal’, ‘check’)
[07/18/18 10:47:43] sync-mgr.c(739): Repo ‘My Library’ sync state transition from ‘synchronized’ to ‘downloading’.
[07/18/18 10:47:43] http-tx-mgr.c(1153): Transfer repo ‘bad086e7’: (‘normal’, ‘check’) → (‘normal’, ‘commit’)
[07/18/18 10:47:43] http-tx-mgr.c(1153): Transfer repo ‘bad086e7’: (‘normal’, ‘commit’) → (‘normal’, ‘fs’)
[07/18/18 10:47:43] http-tx-mgr.c(1153): Transfer repo ‘bad086e7’: (‘normal’, ‘fs’) → (‘normal’, ‘data’)
[07/18/18 10:47:43] bad signature
[07/18/18 10:47:43] index file corrupt
[07/18/18 10:47:43] repo-mgr.c(6133): Failed to load index.
[07/18/18 10:47:43] http-tx-mgr.c(1153): Transfer repo ‘bad086e7’: (‘normal’, ‘data’) → (‘error’, ‘finished’)
[07/18/18 10:47:43] sync-mgr.c(801): Repo ‘My Library’ sync state transition from downloading to ‘error’: ‘Error occured in download.’.

I have not tried uninstalling and reinstalling the client software yet, but will try that next to see if something got corrupted. Any other thoughts or recommendations? It looks like something is screwed up with the index, but not sure how to rebuild or correct that.

Best Regards,

Jason

Have you disabled all antivirus scanning on every folder Seafile uses?

The Windows server does not get any development love. I would highly, highly, highly recommend you move on to running a Linux server with the latest version available.

Moving over to a Linux server is also my recommendation, for many reasons.

However, it appears that your index is corrupt on the client. The only way I know of correcting that is to uninstall the client, and then deleting the seafile-data folder on the client, which will be located where you specified it to go when you first installed Seafile. You could, theoretically, delete just the index folder in the seafile-data folder, but that may cause other problems.

After deleting the folder, reinstall the Seafile client and then set up your syncs again.

Thanks guys - it appears the client somehow got corrupted. I uninstalled and reinstalled, resync’d the library, and everything seems to be back to normal.

I’ve looked at moving to Linux (and may someday), but my Seafile Server is already running on a shared Windows box used for another purpose. I’ve also considered just running it in a virtual environment, but figured if it’s running well as is (and 99% of the time, that’s the case), I’d just leave well enough alone. If I start seeing increased issues that are tied to the Windows platform, I’ll definitely look at moving to Linux.

Thanks again!

Jason

If I had to choose between running in Windows vs running in a virtual environment, I would leave it in Windows. I’ve tried both methods, and they each have their issues. When I tried both of those, I was spending too much time keeping them running. Once I switched to a dedicated Linux server (Debian), I rarely, if ever, have to tinker with it.