Fast-cgi can't start or access

I’m brand new at this. I have Community Edition running on Ubuntu Server 16.04. I still can’t seem to make it internet facing and access it behind a VPN on the local network which works for me. I think I have an idea what is wrong though as running a netstat shows that port 8082 is used by Plex Media Server. Anyway enough about that. I’m operational and I’ll eventually figure this out.

I have installed following the manual and followed the manual directions for installing to Nginx to a T. I believe all is perfect. Also I have tried this with Apache2.

I have also set up the systemctl start at boot files for Seafile and seahub and both start perfectly with just the .sh command however when I run the following:

./seahub.sh start-fastcgi I cannot access via a browser. The command comes back and says it is started. Again it works fine if I just run ./seahub.sh start

Any ideas?

is there any useful info in ../seafile-server-latest/runtime/error.log and ../seafile-server-latest//runtime/access.log ?

Thanks. Access log is an empty file. This is the contents of error log.

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/home/john/seafile/seafile-server-6.0.4/seahub/manage.py", line 10, in <module> execute_from_command_line(sys.argv) File "/home/john/seafile/seafile-server-6.0.4/seahub/thirdpart/Django-1.8.10-py2.7.egg/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 354, in execute_from_command_line utility.execute() File "/home/john/seafile/seafile-server-6.0.4/seahub/thirdpart/Django-1.8.10-py2.7.egg/django/core/management/__init__.py", line 346, in execute self.fetch_command(subcommand).run_from_argv(self.argv) File "/home/john/seafile/seafile-server-6.0.4/seahub/thirdpart/Django-1.8.10-py2.7.egg/django/core/management/base.py", line 394, in run_from_argv self.execute(*args, **cmd_options) File "/home/john/seafile/seafile-server-6.0.4/seahub/thirdpart/Django-1.8.10-py2.7.egg/django/core/management/base.py", line 445, in execute output = self.handle(*args, **options) File "/home/john/seafile/seafile-server-6.0.4/seahub/thirdpart/Django-1.8.10-py2.7.egg/django/core/management/commands/runfcgi.py", line 28, in handle runfastcgi(args) File "/home/john/seafile/seafile-server-6.0.4/seahub/thirdpart/Django-1.8.10-py2.7.egg/django/core/servers/fastcgi.py", line 184, in runfastcgi WSGIServer(get_internal_wsgi_application(), **wsgi_opts).run() File "/home/john/seafile/seafile-server-6.0.4/seahub/thirdpart/flup-1.0.2-py2.7.egg/flup/server/fcgi_fork.py", line 131, in run File "/home/john/seafile/seafile-server-6.0.4/seahub/thirdpart/flup-1.0.2-py2.7.egg/flup/server/fcgi_base.py", line 1018, in _setupSocket File "/usr/lib/python2.7/socket.py", line 228, in meth return getattr(self._sock,name)(*args) socket.error: [Errno 98] Address already in use

as the error.log says (and everything works fine if you just run ./seahub.sh start), maybe there is another running process is listening on the 80 port OR an old seafile server was listening on the port but was shutdown unclean. so

try netstat -tulpen | grep 80 and make sure the old Seafile process is killed, and restart Seafile again.

Nothing on 80 and to make sure I wasn’t running twice I altered seahub.service from start to start-fastcgi

When I booted my domain:8000 didn’t work anymore but my domain:2101 (where I told nginx to listen) is opening seafile (seahub) and it works perfectly. I won’t promise I totally understand what the heck is going on but it works perfectly and is even installed on an oddball port which makes me feel a little safer and I encrypt my library anyway and nothing earth shattering is there anyway. Just trying to teach myself how to do this.

I want to do the https thing and I did try briefly but I run a firewall (pfsense) which of course resolves to the same external IP address and so far I’m having rebinding issues. If I never get behind https it’s okay and again I’m just trying to learn. I’ll fight that a bit next time I’m good and bored.

Thanks for the help. I guess it was working just on the other port.