How to run Seadrive as a daemon

According to the manual, command-line version of Seadrive daemon can only be run with -d flag in the foreground. First, I want to know why it is so, that a daemon is supposed to run in the background, which also makes sense for such a net-drive program. Also can I make it run at background?

I tried executing the command without -d, and it ran but obviously was not functioning well. When I accessed the mounted directory:

root@s625221:~/seafile-sync/seafile-mount# ls
ls: cannot open directory '.': No such file or directory

But the seadrive was still running in the background:

root@s625221:~/seafile-sync/seafile-mount# ps -A | grep seadrive
32424 ?        00:00:00 seadrive

Your answers will be appreciated…

Please clarify what you seek to do.

Seafile has two clients: Seafile sync client and Seafile drive client (aka SeaDrive). There is a CLI version for the sync client; there is no such thing for the drive client.

You seem to confuse the clients.

Oh yeah Sorry about the confusion. The client I was referring to was the seadrive client. @rdb The folder name that I assigned just happen to be one of the clients’ name.

Please have a look at this discussion: How to run SEADRIVE at startup without login (Windows) - #2 by rdb

OK I read the post you sent me.

I believe I am in a similar situation as the person who asked that question, so please let me elaborate a bit on our setup and objective.

Our organization’s seafile server has a bitTorrent program running in the background, and I, as the administration, routinely add torrent download items to it upon my users’ requests. Then what I want to do is basically mount the seafile library as a network drive and then set the mounting point as the destination for these torrent downloads, in which case every finished torrent download is automatically visible to my users on seahub.

I indeed have tried using seafile sync client for this purpose, but the problem with that solution is that the finished torrent downloads are duplicated during the synchronization process(i.e. one original on the linux filesystem, and another one duplicated into the seafile block storage), taking up double the storage space each copy requires, which is greatly inefficient.

Therefore I hope I can find a way to run seadrive-daemon as a daemon in the background. (aka. without -f flag) And I am curious about why the seadrive-daemon was designed to be only run on foreground.

I hope I have made my case clear.

@rdb

Hello? What’s your advice for my situation?