I want advice on optimizing seafile for large scale file storage

Hello everyone,

I hope you all are doing good.I have a query if there is any mistake please forgive me I am relatively new to Seafile & currently in the process of setting it up for my organization. We are looking to leverage Seafile for large scale file storage.
I have some question. please check this :point_right:

• What are the best practices for optimizing Seafiles performance.

• What are some effective strategies for securing Seafile data at rest and in transit. How do you handle encryption, both at the server level and for client communications.

• What steps can we take to ensure that our Seafile deployment scales smoothly? Are there any particular challenges we should be aware of when scaling up from a few dozen to potentially hundreds or thousands of users?

• We use various collaboration tools like Microsoft Office, Slack, and Trello. How well does Seafile integrate with these tools?

• What are the best practices for setting up backups and disaster recovery plans for Seafile.

I want learning from your experiences and implementing your recommendations to make the most out of Seafile for our organization; I would be greatly appreciate any advice or insights from the community.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards :slightly_smiling_face:
Kazuki

So far you have asked many questions. But you did not at all specify what you mean with large. How many users will you have? How many terabytes of data are you expecting to have?
Even if single libraries may not exceed the certain number of files, I am pretty sure that it won’t be an issue when you are running a lot of smaller or medium libraries. But before giving the bird to the real experts, I think you should be a bit more specific.

Hello @Kazuki, here some answers to your questions.

• What are the best practices for optimizing Seafiles performance.
  1. Operate Seafile in Cluster Mode. With dedicated DB, Elasticsearch Nodes and Object Storage
  2. VMs don’t need to be very large. 4CPU / 8GB Memory per Node will provide sufficient capacity
  3. Offload Virusscan to Backend Node
  • What are some effective strategies for securing Seafile data at rest and in transit. How do you handle encryption, both at the server level and for client communications.
  1. Use HTTPS with HSTS and any other recommend SSL-Optimization
  2. Make regular checks with Qualis SSL Labs Qualys SSL Labs
  3. Use Object Storage with Encryption at Rest support form any S3 Compatible provider
    3.3 AWS KMS
    3.4 Using server-side encryption with customer-provided keys (SSE-C) - Amazon Simple Storage Service
  • What steps can we take to ensure that our Seafile deployment scales smoothly? Are there any particular challenges we should be aware of when scaling up from a few dozen to potentially hundreds or thousands of users?
  1. Not Realy. Seafile scales very smoothly. The Application is stateless. Check session persistence in Loadbalancer Setup to ensure session stickiness. 3 Nodes are enough to handle 1000+ Users
  • We use various collaboration tools like Microsoft Office, Slack, and Trello. How well does Seafile integrate with these tools?
  1. As far as we know there are only limited integrations for those tools like an Outlook Addin
  2. We use Onlyoffice OnlyOffice Integration - Seafile Admin Manual
  3. There is a Libreoffice integrated for editing of Office Files LibreOffice Online Integration - Seafile Admin Manual
  4. There is an integration for Microsoft Online Server Office Online Server Integration (Pro) - Seafile Admin Manual
  • What are the best practices for setting up backups and disaster recovery plans for Seafile.
  1. Backup Database and Replicate Object Storage to different Location
  2. For large Datasets we use rclone to replicate Storage between Object Storage between different Buckets at different Locations
    3 Backup and Recovery - Seafile Admin Manual

If you have any questions just contact me…

2 Likes

Thank you @Speicherbox so much for your detailed response I appreciate your answers :grinning: