Is CentOS 6.8 stuck with Seafile Server 5.0.5?

Hi,

Is CentOS 6.8 stuck with Seafile Server 5.0.5 because of the Python 2.7 dependency ?

Many users add some issue and it’s not clear if this problem is solved : Seafile-server-down-python-2-7-problems-in-centos-6-7

Thx

This is possible to solve but not easy to done right. I suggest you migrate the server to CentOS 7.

Ok, is it a Python 2.7 issue ?

I succeded in installing letsincrypt (Python 2.7 required too) using SCL (Sofware Collections). It’s a RedHat supported repo that install newer version of softwares side by side without removing the base packages.

Then every app using Pyhton 2.7 just need to be launch with :
scl enable python27 bash
export PYTHONPATH="/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/":$PYTHONPATH
./app

My server isn’t designed to run primarly Seafile and still supported until the end of 2020. I’ve been using Seafile since version 1.8 but I’m not sure I will be able to upgrade soon. I bet I’m not the only one.

But if Seafile only support the latest version of the server distro, it means the “old stable versions” (not the latest but still supported for several years) are left without security fixes … Like Centos 6 (Nov 2020) or even Debian 7 (May 2018)… Installing Seafile on something else than Ubuntu would be a bad choice then.

You have a point. But the situation is not only related to Seafile. It is related to the libraries Seafile use.

Django 1.8 does not support python 2.6. And the old version of Django is no longer maintained. So for security reasons, Seafile has to use Django 1.8, which means Seafile can’t support Python 2.6.

It seems CentOS/RHEL can use a newer version of Django the same way it does with Python 2.7

Setting up Django and Python 2.7 on Red Hat Enterprise 6 the easy way

This is why I said “This is possible to solve but not easy to done right.”

It is possible to run Seafile 6.0 on CentOS 6. But you as the admin need to put some effort in solving dependencies issues.

OK, I think I will either try this or let down Seafile in 5.0.5

Thx