Is it safe to run an apt upgrade on productive system?

Hi,

I´m running seafile community server version 6.0.4 on a raspberry pi 3 with raspbian jessie (Linux pi31 4.4.32-v7+ #924 SMP Tue Nov 15 18:11:28 GMT 2016 armv7l GNU/Linux) and mysql and nginx 1.6.2.

apt suggests to upgrade the following packages (last updated ca. november 2016)

apt apt-utils bash bind9-host ca-certificates dbus file libapt-inst1.5 libapt-pkg4.12 libasound2 libasound2-data libbind9-90
libc-bin libc-dev-bin libc6 libc6-dbg libc6-dev libdbus-1-3 libdns-export100 libdns100 libdrm2 libevent-2.0-5 libfcgi-perl
libgd3 libgnutls-deb0-28 libgnutls-openssl27 libhogweed2 libicu52 libirs-export91 libisc-export95 libisc95 libisccc90
libisccfg-export90 libisccfg90 libjasper1 liblcms2-2 liblwres90 libmagic1 libmysqlclient18 libnettle4 libpam-modules
libpam-modules-bin libpam-runtime libpam0g libpcsclite1 libpng12-0 libpng12-dev libpq5 libraspberrypi-bin libraspberrypi-dev
libraspberrypi-doc libraspberrypi0 libsmbclient libssl-dev libssl1.0.0 libsystemd0 libtevent0 libtiff5 libudev1 libwbclient0
libxml2 libxpm4 locales multiarch-support mysql-client-5.5 mysql-common mysql-server mysql-server-5.5 mysql-server-core-5.5
openssl pi-bluetooth raspberrypi-bootloader raspberrypi-kernel raspberrypi-sys-mods raspi-config samba-common samba-libs sed
smbclient systemd systemd-sysv tzdata udev vim vim-common vim-runtime vim-tiny wireless-regdb

Has anyone had any problems after a suggested software upgrade (e.g. mysql server)? I dno´t have a working backup of my system (dd during running system backup never worked so far). Is it safe?

I´ve got a working backup of the seafile data but non of my system data.

Unless you didn’t change the sources it is safe and a serious security issue to not do so on a regular basis.

1 Like

Thanks
I was concerned mostly about the mysql database consistency
I´ve just upgraded the system and everything seems to work fine. As raspbian is a debian system I guess it´s official packages shall be stable (with default repository lists). I´m curious if someone ever had problems with seafile after a apt-get upgrade and it´s repair aftermath :neutral_face:

Using Debian Stable sources this is very unlikely but problems are still possible. In case your system is connected to the internet upgrade your system at least once per weak or setup automatic upgrades (google can help you with this ;)).