Issues with Windows Client

I’ll just pile these together in one post; hope that doesn’t go against policy.

Windows 7 x64; Seafile client 6.1.3. We are syncing directories from a network drive at our off-campus site to a university server; we would use something simpler but IT wants us to use Seafile. Overall, documentation for the client is very weak.

The client app doesn’t seem to have any control for basic settings (such as location of the Seafile directory, which I needed to rename; I found directions in a recent forum post). There’s also no About…-type information. The only way I can see that this is v6.1.3 is that I still have the installer.

Because we’re syncing a network drive we have to do manual or timed updates. The directories all need separate sharing administration, so we have to have 64 libraries instead of one – and per the basic settings issue above, there’s no way to set one overall sync time for all libraries; rather, I have to do (or set) each one separately.

Our internet connection is terrible so we want the updates to happen outside of work hours – but since there’s only a sync interval and no sync schedule I would need to come here in the middle of the night some time and set the 64 libraries to sync up every 604800 seconds. Also I haven’t found any documentation about how that clock runs: If the machine running the Seafile process shuts down, does the timer work out the countdown correctly at reboot so the sync still happens at the intended time, or does the clock start over again at 0 seconds when the process relaunches? We lose power frequently so a restarting clock would be a mess.

The seaf-daemon.exe and seafile-applet.exe processes are fairly RAM- and CPU-hungry, even when completely idle (the daemon typically runs around 5-10% of CPU even with no files changing anywhere). That being the case, and since we’re on a long update cycle, I’d rather not have them running all the time – but I don’t know how that affects the sync interval issue.

I have also found that closing the client app window does not stop either process; the only way to stop them is to kill them in the Task Manager, which does not seem like a sound data-management procedure.

Under version 6.1.2 I was having a problem that if the app was running explorer.exe would crash repeatedly, seemingly regardless of any other activity. I read about that being an issue a couple of years ago, but no mention of it since. Upgrading to 6.1.3 seems to have stopped that.

I understand that this is not a typical use-case. It’s what we’re obliged to do though, and the client does not make things easy. Most of all it needs better documentation.

There is version info for the client when you right click on the tray icon.

You’re right, a sync scheduler is an interesting new feature.

I just checked my seaf-deamon and seafile-applet processes. Both are idling at 0%. Perhaps it’s because of your 64 libraries. I have 3 libraries in sync.

This is by design. The window can be closed while the app is in tray. To end the app (and all processes) please use the trayicon. Right click → Exit

Prioritization/QoS is the best solution to solve this. Of course the client does reset the counter on restart (as you found out it’s no schedule but just an interval)

Using the sync interval likely needs CPU to rescan the libraries over and over again. The amount of resources consumed also depends on the number of files. On my machine the load zero most of the time and ram consumption is negligible (~32 MiB for all Seafile processes)

Hey; thanks for the replies (I was afk for a week).

In my case, no. The tray icon right-click menu has only

Seafile
Pin this program to taskbar
Close Window

Nothing there produces any version info and Close Window does the expected. Possibly you’re not on Windows 7? There’s also no version info listed in the Properties for seaf-daemon.exe (seafile-applet.exe does have it there).

Wouldn’t it be more efficient to hold off on all the scanning until after counting the 604800 seconds? Anyway, even with no interval set and Autosync turned off and no activity in the tree, seaf-daemon.exe is still running at 2-8% – #1 CPU-user most of the time – and seafile-applet.exe, also with no activity, is almost always in the top ten. So I’ve specifically told it to do nothing (and if it can’t see network drives well enough to autosync anyway it would ideally recognize that and sit dormant, right?) but still it’s doing many, many cycles of something. And since all that something is still nothing… what is it?

I can believe this – but so here we are with our 53,000 files and the two processes together are taking up almost 150M of RAM (biggest after the web browser processes) and churning all that CPU, and we’re really not that extreme an operation. What if we had really a lot of files?

It’d be great if we had a proper file server to run this on and not worry about it, but we don’t. So the best way I can figure out to use Seafile is to run it once a week (or whenever I think of it), manually sync each library individually (or the ones I think have changed), and then manually kill the two processes – which kind of stinks and is sort of the opposite of “file syncing”. And I admit it’s very possible there’s a better way to do it… but given the lack of documentation I can’t figure it out. Is there any kind of scripting that can manage this?

If only we were allowed to use regular Git!

What you click on is not the tray icon but the shortcut in the tasklist at the bottom. The tray icon is on the right next to the clock. It can be hidden behind the up arrow.

It’ll always to a full rescan on start, because the Client cannot know what happened in between.[quote=“HoltForest, post:4, topic:4728”]
I can believe this – but so here we are with our 53,000 files and the two processes together are taking up almost 150M of RAM (biggest after the web browser processes) and churning all that CPU, and we’re really not that extreme an operation.
[/quote]

It uses 23 MiB on my computer (all processes combined). I use multiple Seafile accounts and sync more than 50k files. Could it be that it is still synchronizing or scanning something while you check CPU and ram usage? CPU usage is also less than 1% here.

1 Like

Aha! I’m dumb; thank you. I only work in Windows under duress and resist learning some of its corners.

I see what you mean; maybe so. I’ll give that a test. Maybe that also somehow accounts for that weird recurrence of the explorer-crashing bug that was supposedly fixed two years ago – some sort of initial-scan stress.

All right then; I won’t give up to my bad attitude. Thanks!