I’ll just pile these together in one post; hope that doesn’t go against policy.
Windows 7 x64; Seafile client 6.1.3. We are syncing directories from a network drive at our off-campus site to a university server; we would use something simpler but IT wants us to use Seafile. Overall, documentation for the client is very weak.
The client app doesn’t seem to have any control for basic settings (such as location of the Seafile directory, which I needed to rename; I found directions in a recent forum post). There’s also no About…-type information. The only way I can see that this is v6.1.3 is that I still have the installer.
Because we’re syncing a network drive we have to do manual or timed updates. The directories all need separate sharing administration, so we have to have 64 libraries instead of one – and per the basic settings issue above, there’s no way to set one overall sync time for all libraries; rather, I have to do (or set) each one separately.
Our internet connection is terrible so we want the updates to happen outside of work hours – but since there’s only a sync interval and no sync schedule I would need to come here in the middle of the night some time and set the 64 libraries to sync up every 604800 seconds. Also I haven’t found any documentation about how that clock runs: If the machine running the Seafile process shuts down, does the timer work out the countdown correctly at reboot so the sync still happens at the intended time, or does the clock start over again at 0 seconds when the process relaunches? We lose power frequently so a restarting clock would be a mess.
The seaf-daemon.exe and seafile-applet.exe processes are fairly RAM- and CPU-hungry, even when completely idle (the daemon typically runs around 5-10% of CPU even with no files changing anywhere). That being the case, and since we’re on a long update cycle, I’d rather not have them running all the time – but I don’t know how that affects the sync interval issue.
I have also found that closing the client app window does not stop either process; the only way to stop them is to kill them in the Task Manager, which does not seem like a sound data-management procedure.
Under version 6.1.2 I was having a problem that if the app was running explorer.exe would crash repeatedly, seemingly regardless of any other activity. I read about that being an issue a couple of years ago, but no mention of it since. Upgrading to 6.1.3 seems to have stopped that.
I understand that this is not a typical use-case. It’s what we’re obliged to do though, and the client does not make things easy. Most of all it needs better documentation.