Migrate Seafile installation

Hello,

as of writing this i am still using seafile-pro-server-6.2.1 on our vps.
But as we subscribed for a new vps server i would like to migrate my whole installation to the new system.
If possible i would like to start with a clean slate on the new vps by installing the latest seafile pro version.
and migrate the whole userdata and databases over to the new installation.

I would like to hear your opinion on how to approach this the right way, cause the old vps still runs jessie with mysql 5.5.62 compared to our new vps which runs on debian buster with mariadb 10.3.15.
Copying the userdata over is no big deal but i am not sure if i can just import the old seafile databases from mysql 5.5 directly to mariadb 10.3.15.
Aside from that the default openjdk-jre on buster is v11 whereas the documentation demands version 8.

Thank you in advance for your help. :slight_smile:

Dennis

I don’t know much about Seafile specifically, but migrating the raw database files from MySQL to MariaDB (or vice versa) is usually not advised, as some of the internal tables differ. In the worst case, the columns in mysql.user table may differ between them, which can break all logins (I recently broke a testing server by switching from MariaDB to MySQL - the mysql.user schema wasn’t compatible between the two versions :stuck_out_tongue: ).

MariaDB handles forward upgrades from older MariaDB versions, MySQL handles forward upgrades from older MySQL versions, but they don’t migrate between each other very well.

I’d suggest using exactly the same minor MySQL version (any 5.5.x) to export the databases using mysqldump (excluding the internal tables like information_schema and mysql), then import them to the new MariaDB. mysqldump will give you a .sql file, which is portable across versions.

1 Like

Firts of all thank you for your reply.
I am not sure i understand you correctly here.
If you re saying its not advised to migrate the “raw databases” what do you mena by that exactly cause the only way i know of to do that is the way you described later on, by using mysqldump.

So dumping the databases out of MySQL 5.5/5.6 from the old vps where seafile-pro-server-6.2.1 is running currently and importing those dumped databases back to MariaDB shouldn`t pose any problems right?
I will start with the same seafile-pro-server version on my new vps and upgrade it to 7.x.x on the new vps just to avoid any hiccups.

The ibdata, .frm, .myd and .myi files in the MySQL data directory (eg. /var/lib/mysql/). If you stick to the exact same minor MySQL version (eg. MySQL 5.5.x), you can just copy that entire directory across, as long as MySQL is stopped beforehand.

So dumping the databases out of MySQL 5.5/5.6 from the old vps where seafile-pro-server-6.2.1 is running currently and importing those dumped databases back to MariaDB shouldn`t pose any problems right?

That should be fine.