Multi-tenancy: Organization Admin improvements (Pro)

We operate a Seafile Pro Cluster for our Customers where every Customer has his own Organization (multi-tenancy). During the last months of operation we identified the following optimizations that could enhance the experience of our Customers:

1. As an Org Admin it is not Possible to Search Users or Groups. This is essential if you have large Organizations with multiple pages.
  2. As an Org Admin it is not possible to change the user role. This has to be done by System Admin. This feature would allow us to create predefined roles and provide those to our customers.
  3. Departments can’t have the same name as an other department in other organization. For Example if in org A the admin create a department named Administration this name can’t be used any other org. This is really bad as quite every org has the same departments. Perhaps the Departments could get an org prefix so every org could have departments with the same name.
  4. Change Organization Owner. If the Org Admin has left the customer company it’s hard to add an additional Admin to the org. Here the System Admin should have the ability to add additional admins to a specific org or change the owner completely if the user account should be deleted.

I hope you can deploy some of these features in a upcoming release of Seafile Pro.

Thank you very much!

3 Likes

+1 We would like to see those improvements as well.

@daniel.pan

1 Like

Request 1, 3, 4 can be added soon. But changing user’s role is quite difficult.

2 Likes

Hi Daniel,

thanks for the good news!

If there is a possibility to get feature 2 added as well, we would be really happy. In the main admin portal (System Admin) this is possible for org users currently, so why not just display this dropdown menu for org admins?

The feature is difficulty as we must consider the role assigned to the whole organization. The permissions for a single user must be combined with the permissions of the whole organization.

We can’t reproduce the problem on our 8.0 server.

@daniel.pan thank you very much for the Development! I can confirm that the following Topics are fixed with version 8.0.9:

• As an Org Admin it is not Possible to Search Users or Groups. This is essential if you have large Organizations with multiple pages.
  • Departments can’t have the same name as an other department in other organization. For Example if in org A the admin create a department named Administration this name can’t be used any other org. This is really bad as quite every org has the same departments. Perhaps the Departments could get an org prefix so every org could have departments with the same name.
  • Change Organization Owner. If the Org Admin has left the customer company it’s hard to add an additional Admin to the org. Here the System Admin should have the ability to add additional admins to a specific org or change the owner completely if the user account should be deleted.

Additionally i have one more Improvement:

• If i want to open a Department from an organization i get a link like /sysadmin/#address-book/groups/groupid and the error message Sorry, but the requested page could not be found.

To workaround i have to modify manually the link to /sys/departments/groupid/ an will get the information about the department including the configured users, but without any information about the attached libraries.

Is this a bug or a misconfiguration on our environment?

Is it possible to update the link in the Organisation to point directly to the correct endpoint and include some information about the libraries?

1 Like

Thanks for reporting the issue. We will check the problem.

@daniel.pan what is the current status regarding the following features

• Change Organization Owner: currently we can add new admins, but we can’t change the owner of the org
  • Access the Department form an organization
  • As an Org Admin it is not possible to change the user role

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Change the owner does not have much value. The owner is only used when showing the creator of an organization.

An organization admin can already access department in the admin panel.

As explained in above, it is difficult to implement such a feature. We don’t have a plan to implement it yet.

If the Organization Owner has left the Organization it is not Possible to delete the User as we get an access denied error. Additionally the information in the Organization overview is no longer correct. As we have a lot of Orgs on our Cloud, we need here correct information about ownership so changing the owner is an important feature.

For Shure! But we as System Admins has still to struggle with the incorrect links in Organization Overview. If i want to open a Department from an organization as System Admin i get a link like /sysadmin/#address-book/groups/groupid and the error message Sorry, but the requested page could not be found.

To workaround i have to modify manually the link to /sys/departments/groupid/ an will get the information about the department including the configured users, but without any information about the attached libraries.

OK - Thank you very much for clarification!

1 Like

We have this problem too:

If the Organization Owner has left the Organization it is not Possible to delete the User as we get an access denied error.

Additionally the information in the Organization overview is no longer correct. As we have a lot of Orgs on our Cloud, we need here correct information about ownership so changing the owner is an important feature.

with version 8.0.9