Not all Filetypes are passed to Collabora

Hello all,

we are currently testing the integration of Seafile and Collabora.
Up to now i got it working and actually pretty fast, looks really good to me.

But testing around with different filetypes there are some problems appearing.

I took the configuration as described in Seafile Manual and added some lines to seahub_settings.py including:

OFFICE_WEB_APP_FILE_EXTENSION = (‘ods’, ‘xls’, ‘xlsb’, ‘xlsm’, ‘xlsx’,‘ppsx’, ‘ppt’,
‘pptm’, ‘pptx’, ‘doc’, ‘docm’, ‘docx’)
OFFICE_WEB_APP_EDIT_FILE_EXTENSION = (‘ods’, ‘xls’, ‘xlsb’, ‘xlsm’, ‘xlsx’,‘ppsx’, ‘ppt’,
‘pptm’, ‘pptx’, ‘doc’, ‘docm’, ‘docx’)

As far as I understand these are the extensions that will be passed to the CODE Server.

docx, ods, xlsx work perfectly within the CODE Server.
xls and doc Files are not opened up at any form. I only get the Download Page for these files.
odt were shown in a preview Tab. I think this was an old setting, that wasn’t cleaned up. After disabling the options it was still shown in a preview tab, then I upgraded to 6.0.12 and the preview doesn’t appear but I also only see the Download page now.
Are there known problems or is there any other options that is blocking Seafile from starting these files in CODE?

Thanks in advance
Kenneth Cummings

Can confirm that. Also in the demo-Version demo.seafile.com.

These settings are used both for CollaboraOffice and Office Online Server, mainly for Office Online Server, so some filetypes could be not integrated with CollaboraOffice perfectly.

If you are using CODE Server, you should check the discovery page of you CODE Server, and change the settings according to the info you get from the page.

This is because previewing or editing “xls”, “doc” and “ppt” format files are not suppoerted by CollaboraOffice.

Yes, you can edit “odt” format file in demo.seafile.com because I added “odt” to OFFICE_WEB_APP_FILE_EXTENSION and OFFICE_WEB_APP_EDIT_FILE_EXTENSION manually.

Hello lian

thanks for your answer.

I could fix odt by adding the extension in the options, it was my mistake that I hadn’t realized odt is missing there.

I can confirm for xls and doc extensions that these are not included in the “/hosting/discovery” xml from CODE-Server. As these are not supported in CODE Server I would suggest to add this information to the Manual Page. Especially since these extensions are declared in the setting described in the manual.
And I don’t want to start complaining, since I like Seafile a lot, BUT Nextcloud works with doc and xls files although these extensions are also not declared on the CODE Server used by the Nextcloud. Is there maybe any possibility Seafile could handle these files in the future?

Best regards,
Kenneth Cummings

I’d really like to use collabora (or something similar), too. I couldn’t find any download for it - is it free or can i only purchase it?

For 6.0.* pro version of seafile, we support viewing/editing office files online through Office Online Server and Collabora Office.

For 6.1 pro version, which will be released later, Only Office will be supported too.

1 Like

@Garfield look at CODE from Collabora, it is the free version. You can use it for example with Docker.

https://hub.docker.com/r/collabora/code/