OnlyOffice document not saved (or did it? Confusing!)

So OnlyOffice opens the document just fine, but as soon as I hit save OnlyOffice calls this url:
https://storage.mydomain.com:8000/onlyoffice/editor-callback/

The log file from OnlyOffice then gives:
Error: Error response: statusCode:500 ;body:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"
    "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html lang="en">
<head>
    <title>Page unavailable</title>
</head>
<body>
    <h1>Page unavailable</h1>

<p>Sorry, but the requested page is unavailable due to a
    server hiccup.</p>

<p>Our engineers have been notified, so check back later.</p>
</body>
</html>

I cannot find an error in the seafile logs, Using pro 6.2.3

EDIT: i restarted seafile and seahub, the error seems gone, however, the document still isnā€™t saved and I get no errors whatsoever :frowning:

I think this is a very weird intentional way of how things work. Let me first state that I really like Seafile and that I applaud all your efforts until date to get where you are now. I mean it,.And now the rant :stuck_out_tongue:

As soon as I open the document in OnlyOffice I can work on it, users can join me, all working fine. I hit save, it saves (somewere)

Now, when I CLOSE THE TAB (not earlier) the file is written to the seafile storage, WHAT THEā€¦ ???
This must be the most confusing feature of Seafile / OnlyOffice, I mean, Iā€™m pretty technical, can figure stuff out, but oh boy, when I hit [Save] and it doesnā€™t SAVE, what the hell are my customers supposed to think?

Better yet, it only writes the file to the storage as soon as all open tabs of the file are closed by everybody, until then, nothing. I have no clue what to do with this behavior, is this intended? If so, there should be a message somewhere stating this behavior:

Something like this:

Dear user,

The file will not be saved to your file storage when you hit save, even though it shows at the bottom ā€œAll changes savedā€. The file will only be saved to your file storage as soon as you close this tab, even though it will still take a while before this happens, cause we are working hard in the background to do something before actually saving it.
More importantly, if you work together on the same document with someone else, please ask them politely to close the file tab, or your file will never be saved to your file storage.

Kind regards,

The we-like-to-not-save-files-when-you-hit-save Team

I have never seen a program user interface so confusing!

Thatā€™s how ONLYOFFICE and Seafile works, and this is needed especially if collaborating with more people the same time.

We have some users on our plattform :wink: and no one ever was confused

Not sure I am following. Are you seeing any evidence of the memcached file saving issue like that mentioned here?

There is also a recent post on the OO Developersā€™ Support Forum (found here) that describes enabling a Save Button and the reasons it is disabled by default. You might find it interesting.

Will the document be stored in seafile when you click save if the auto-save feature is disabled?s

I now have, for example, opened a spreadsheet on multiple computers, closed all their taba but for some reason it is not saving, but when I open the file in the web interface I do get to see all changes but they are never stored inside seafile, so my desktop client never gets them. Some kind of force-save button would be nice since I have no clue where the current new state is stored.

I do also get the occasional error from my first post, which blocks saving the document without giving any feedback on the site, onlyoffice just displays all is good. I then need to restart seafile service again before it works, but why???

When you click on the file button and then on saving, you can force save.

I wish this was true, when I do this nothing is being pushed to seafile, I think you only trigger the internal save which is done by onlyoffice itself anyway automatically

Better yet, when I close a docx tab, my server now gives me this:

[2018-07-26 10:08:19.143] [ERROR] nodeJS - sqlQuery error sqlCommand: INSERT INTO task_result ( id, status, status_info,:
error: duplicate key value violates unique constraint ā€œtask_result_pkeyā€
at Connection.parseE (/var/www/onlyoffice/documentserver/server/DocService/node_modules/pg/lib/connection.js:567:11)
at Connection.parseMessage (/var/www/onlyoffice/documentserver/server/DocService/node_modules/pg/lib/connection.js:391:17)
at Socket. (/var/www/onlyoffice/documentserver/server/DocService/node_modules/pg/lib/connection.js:129:22)
at emitOne (events.js:96:13)
at Socket.emit (events.js:188:7)
at readableAddChunk (_stream_readable.js:176:18)
at Socket.Readable.push (_stream_readable.js:134:10)
at TCP.onread (net.js:559:20)
[2018-07-26 10:13:32.413] [ERROR] nodeJS - sendServerRequest error: docId = ec72d8d88bd2372a1e40;url = https://storage.domain.com:8000/onlyoffice/editor-callback/;data = {ā€œkeyā€:ā€œec72d8d88bd2372a1e40ā€,ā€œstatusā€:2,ā€œurlā€:ā€œhttps://office.domain.com/cache/files/ec72d8d88bd2372a1e40_9233/output.docx/output.docx?md5=kAPWdw-tcMm5HwKM7itv8Q==&expires=1532593713&disposition=attachment&ooname=output.docx",ā€œchangesurlā€:ā€œhttps://office.domain.dom/cache/files/ec72d8d88bd2372a1e40_9233/changes.zip/changes.zip?md5=ZAi7O7iN97bKbj7oQOAmDg==&expires=1532593713&disposition=attachment&ooname=output.zipā€,ā€œhistoryā€:{ā€œserverVersionā€:ā€œ5.1.5ā€,ā€œchangesā€:[{ā€œcreatedā€:"2018-07-26 08:11:44ā€,ā€œuserā€:{ā€œidā€:ā€œuid-1532592685652ā€,ā€œnameā€:ā€œinfoā€}}]},ā€œusersā€:[ā€œuid-1532592685652ā€],ā€œactionsā€:[{ā€œtypeā€:0,ā€œuseridā€:ā€œuid-1532592685652ā€}],ā€œlastsaveā€:ā€œ2018-07-26T08:12:41.193Zā€,ā€œnotmodifiedā€:false}
Error: Error response: statusCode:500 ;body:

Page unavailable

Page unavailable

<p>Sorry, but the requested page is unavailable due to a
server hiccup.</p>

<p>Our engineers have been notified, so check back later.</p>
at Request._callback (/var/www/onlyoffice/documentserver/server/Common/sources/utils.js:283:18)
at Request.self.callback (/var/www/onlyoffice/documentserver/server/Common/node_modules/request/request.js:185:22)
at emitTwo (events.js:106:13)
at Request.emit (events.js:191:7)
at Request.<anonymous> (/var/www/onlyoffice/documentserver/server/Common/node_modules/request/request.js:1157:10)
at emitOne (events.js:96:13)
at Request.emit (events.js:188:7)
at IncomingMessage.<anonymous> (/var/www/onlyoffice/documentserver/server/Common/node_modules/request/request.js:1079:12)
at IncomingMessage.g (events.js:292:16)
at emitNone (events.js:91:20)

Iā€™m using pro 6.2.3 and itā€™s just not reliable at all, is this functionality even tested?

And when I try the same thing again, it works without changing me a thing. What theā€¦
There is also zero feedback to the user, which makes it possible that changes are simply lost, imagine working for an hour, the program saying constantly: ā€œchanges are savedā€ and everything is lost at the end of the day. Bye bye reputation.

Can somebody confirm things will be better in a newer version or should I just give up offering this to my clients?

Ok, Iā€™ve set my load balancer to only access one seahub/seafile server all the time and only access the other one as backup, I canā€™t seem to break things anymore.

Having said that, apparantly the onlyoffice server must have access to the exact same server that the user used to open the document or things wonā€™t work. I guess there is some kind of document state only one server knows about

No, unfortunately this doesnā€™t work. What really bugs me is, that there seems to be no way to discard any changes. If I open an office document with seafileā€™s web interface and apply any changes, the changes are written into the file on closing the tab. There seems to be no way to prevent seafile from saving the file. Or am I too blind to see this feature?

1 Like

In Pro were some OO issues which were fixed in 6.3.

This is justā€¦ horrible, it could have been so much better with a traditional save button and a notification if the user wants to keep their changes or not. This definitely needs a rework. Itā€™s incredibly complicated to understand how this works for a normal user.

Workaround fix: the user can recover an older version from history (pfff)

1 Like

I think the guys at the OO forum can help you much and improve you configuration that the load balancer can work and you can enable other functions.

I think itā€™s seafileā€™s job to take care of this, not a userā€™s :slight_smile:

Of, course it is, but I think theyā€™re really glad to get OO working again.

Well, as long as I can use both seafile and onlyoffice for free, there is nothing to complain about. But I agree, that adding a user decision on saving or discarding should belong to the basics.

1 Like