Owncloud to seafile migration, how to?

Hi,

I am considering migrating from an old owncloud server to seafile and I would like to know if there is any official procedure to do so?

I have search the documentation and the web, but found nothing really clear on that topic.

Any help welcomed.

There is no relationship between seafile (C, Python) and owncloud (PHP), the best would be to start on a new server installation (Debian 9, Ubuntu, CentOS ā€¦) and install Seafile.
But maybe there are other services being used on your server ā€¦

It will be on a new server anyway, but, I would like to know how to ā€œimportā€ the files stored on my owncloud server to the seafile server and is there a way to also import the users and permissions in the process.

My suggestion is to deploy seafile server, create appropriate user accounts and use the seafile client to sync the files from owncloud server to seafile. Never tried it but that would be my first guess. I would suggest turning off owncloud process and youā€™ll have to sync the files of each user separately.

To import the data you will need to go through the desktop client once the server is installed.
You need to move the data to another location.
The data is divided into 1MB block when seafile server registers them, so you can not copy your data directly into the seafile DATA folder. You have to go through the desktop client.
You can import users in CSV format, but I could not help you, I never used this method

Browsing, once again, the documentation and found this, for the pro version:

https://manual.seafile.com/deploy_pro/seaf_import.html

If I understand correctly, this is not a synchronisation, but a ā€œcopyā€ to a Seafile library using a SeaFile tool?

Is there a reason why you canā€™t just copy the data in using the client?

Do you have a lot of clients and data to import where that makes it impractical?

I have no particular reasons, I am simply considering every possibilities.

To give you a suitable answer, tell us how many users you have to move, the size of your data to transfer, and if you can tell us more about your owncloud configuration it would be a better ā€¦ (you are using Active Directory, you install seafile for a professional or personal use ā€¦)
The Seafile community wants to help you as much as possible.

Whoa, I was just expecting to get a link to an article in the wiki or the official documentation that I missed, not a personalised support :wink:

Anyway, I should have provided more context, so lets do it.

The owncloud server is running on a raspberry pi 2 b, which is way to slow to handle the job. There is 2 users and the amount of data is around 100 GB, no LDAP, no AD. It is obviously for personal use.

The Seafile server will be running in a VM on a dedicated server and it will be still for personal use, but I plan to allow my family to have an account to store there own files.

It is to note, that I have, first, tried to install seafile on the raspberry, but I never manage to make it running and I didnā€™t receive any help from this forum at that time (a few yers ago), so I switched to owncloud. (no complains hereā€¦wellā€¦yes, maybe a little)

When I migrated to Seafile from Owncloud, I just installed the seafile agent and let it do itā€™s job.

I had a fully synched libraries using the owncloud agent, stopped owncloud, started seafile, and let it complete.

So far Iā€™ve had no issues with 2 users and around 120GB as well.
I also shuffled around libraries at the same time since thereā€™s a difference in the way seafile and owncloud will let you do selective synching.

I didnā€™t have any issues, and it was really all straight forward and simple once I verified I had my seafile install set up correctly for using through NAT and behind nginx/https.

When you say ā€œusing the owncloud agentā€, you mean ā€œusing the seafile agentā€?

Sorry, that was a bit unclear wasnā€™t it.

Actually, I meant both agents.

I made sure the owncloud agent was completely synched with no exceptions, then killed the owncloud agent.
Once killed I started the seafile agent and let it synch fully.
After seafile was complete I considered the migration finished with the exception of any shared libraries that needed to be set up.

Sorry for the long wait, I have spent the last week installing proxmox and seafile server and performing basic testing.

I have deployed the seafile client on a container based on centos 7.

[tmpsync@temposync ~]$ seaf-cli list-remote -s ā€œhttps://10.10.10.2:443ā€ -u roland
Enter password for user roland :
Name ID
Traceback (most recent call last):
File ā€œ/bin/seaf-cliā€, line 832, in
main()
File ā€œ/bin/seaf-cliā€, line 828, in main
args.func(args)
File ā€œ/bin/seaf-cliā€, line 367, in seaf_list_remote
print repo[ā€˜nameā€™], repo[ā€˜idā€™]
UnicodeEncodeError: ā€˜asciiā€™ codec canā€™t encode character uā€™\xe8ā€™ in position 11: ordinal not in range(128)

Is there anything special to do with regard to unicode characters?

The server is installed on a VM with a CentOS 7 too.

I finally manage to migrate the data from owncloud to seafile, using the seaf-cli. Now everything is in order, I can close this topic.

2 Likes