Permission for more than one user to share files/folders

Why not create a library for each subfolder? This enables you to configure the share permission (via group management) and also selectively sync.

Why not create a library for each subfolder?

Because if we want all subfolders to be shared with multiple users and only some subfolders to other users it is cumbersome to create a lib for every new subfolder.

For example let’s say a lib is already shared to many users (a group) but only some subfolders of this lib needs to be shared to other users.

lib is shared to a group, every subfolder created inside is available to group members, but to other users an admin will need to click share icon > share to user > username > submit

Unfortunately this action is only possible for the lib owner, that’s quite annoying.

Is it planned to implement this @DerDanilo ?

seafile server pro 6.3.12 on official docker image

How would I know this? :slight_smile:
I am not working for Seafile.

In the pro edition, you can share a library with “Admin” to other users or groups.

Sorry my bad !

Yes but is it possible for a sub-folder within a lib ? I have tried (pro edition) and the “share to user” and “share ot group” link is only visible for lib owner not lib admin.

This is not possible for sub-folder. You can add multiple admins for the whole library, but not for a sub-folder.

Understood, is it planned to implement it ?

Right now I need to give owner access to my co-workers who are group admins, so they can share folders with other people (non group members), this is not really safe.

library => shared with group A. owner and group A admins can share it.

• subfolder 1 => needs to be visible to group A members, and also can be shared with others (non-group A members)*
  • subfolder 2 => same
  • subfolder 3 => same
  • subfolder 4…
  • new folder => visible to group A members, but not to other people.

*right now only by lib owner can share it to other users or other groups.

Maybe there is another way to do it but I just don’t understand why admins cannot share a subfolder while owner can, to me it is inconsistent.

Admins can share a subfolder.

The option “share to user” or “share to group” is not visible to admins, only to lib owner.

as seen in one of the first posts :

lib owner :
986c17e11e6438832abf2fb7908057e0f734937a_1_495x166

group admin (where lib is shared to this group) :
10fe3790a131519518c8180f0b2dc6d0cfd07848

If so, it is a bug. We will test it.

Awesome ! Anyway thank you for the great feedback.

As we tested, if I share a library libA to a group with admin permission, all admins of the group can share any subfolder of libA.

So that means the admin has to share the lib in the first place and not the owner ?

Steps to reproduce :

When you share a library to a group, you should use “Admin” permission:

I tried and indeed it works ! But…

Then every user of the group can also share it ! not only group admins also regular members. It is not a big deal though.

Thank you again for your super-fast feedback.

Are you, by any chance, planning on implementing this as a feature?

You could try to add only specific users with admin permission and only read-write to the group. With that solution, group members don’t have admin permissions, while only specific users have. Not a nice workaround but should work.

Which feature do you mean? Currently this feature is implemented in recent seafile server versions (only Pro).

Blockquote All in all, this is really becoming a headache for us. How can we have multiple users with the permission on the same library, to share folders to other seafile users?

Besides Full Control, Change, and Read that can be set for groups or individually, NTFS offer a few more permission options:

Full control: Allows users to read, write, change, and delete files and subfolders. In addition, users can change permissions settings for all files and subdirectories.
Modify: Allows users to read and write of files and subfolders; also allows deletion of the folder.
Read & execute: Allows users to view and run executable files, including scripts.
List folder contents: Permits viewing and listing of files and subfolders as well as executing of files; inherited by folders only.
Read: Allows users to view the folder and subfolder contents.
Write: Allows users to add files and subfolders, allows you to write to a file.