Possible to protect a published library with a password

Hi,
I would like to share a link to a published library, but protect it with a password?
Not for editing the wiki, but for read access.
Is that possible?
Or would you consider adding this?
Kind regards,
Ruediger

Hi Rüdiger,

a password-protected published library is an oxymoron. It’s either a published library or a password-protected private library, not both.

But I think what you need/want is available. Why don’t you create a read-only sharing link with password-protection. Like this:

Important: The preview-only link is a feature exclusive to Seafile Professional.

Thanks for your reply.
But I would disagree that it is an oxymoron.
By sharing the library, I grant access to the browser view of the files, incl. the images subfolder. But I would like to share only the wiki view of the library, but protect that with a password.
I know that other wikis e.g. dokuwiki allow that, but since I am already using seafile, it would be great to have that feature in seafile as well.
Would it be possible to select the wiki view for sharing with a password?
thanks,
Ruediger

Well, a public library cannot be accessible only to a few people with a key. That would make a public library a private library.

This said, I see what you mean. You want to share data with other people and ensure they can use the wiki view. Unfortunately, this is not possible.

Coming back to what I said, I still believe that my proposal is a good one. Isn’t the screenshot below very close to what you seek to achieve: Read-only access to a text file with embedded images.

The wiki view is currently like sharing the library. All content in a public wiki can be using a shared link as well.

It’s close, but not what I am looking for.
It’s missing the header preview on the right side and an overview of the documents on the left.
Guess I’ll have to look into a different tool for my wiki :frowning:
Thanks anyways for your quick replies and suggestions!

True, but that’s not the same view, see above.

Hi @rdb,

I think what @res80 needs is a feature that was in the previous version of Wikis orSeafDocs.
That is, a complete wiki feature but protected by Seafile (permissions). This wloud be very useful to protect some internal documentation.

The actual Published library Feature aslo lacks some improvements.like compatibility between published Wiki and MD editing in terms of realtive path to images or files. I’ve already talked about it to @daniel.pan.

Regards

This is a feature we will implement. But I’m afraid we don’t have a plan to implement the permission feature yet.

1 Like

Technically it is. Share a wiki, send me the link and I send you all files.

Technically yes, but I am looking for the wiki view, as described above.
It’s not about sharing the files, but make them readible like a manual or like a wiki :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great !

I’m quite sure it existed before, but as you rewrited the feature, this may have been considered not essential. But as we notice here some people suc as @res80 need it. :wink:

Regards,

Gautier