Raspberry Pi - sharing existing EXT4 directory on hard drive?

Hi all - I am totally new to SeaFile and I am not completely sure if it fits what I’m trying to do …

I have a hard drive that I would like to use as both in-house and internet-accessible storage, upload and download. It already has several files on it that I would like to access from the road (program installers, for the most part). I have created folders ON the drive to be able to drop files into it from the web, but the SeaFile server acts as if only those folders are on the drive.

Using OpenMediaVault as the underlying OS, which is how I know the files are there. I can navigate into other directories using SMB protocol on my in-house network. When I leave, however, I’d like to also be able to access the SneakerNet program installer folder without actually having to make a duplicate copy, especially if I want to use it as a long term solution.

I know the Pro version of SeaFile will allow me to alias or reference the folder(s) using a .sh command, but I am running on a Raspberry Pi and the .sh file from the Pro version is not in the SeaFile directory. Is there a tool or command I can use? Or how can I solve this issue using existing hardware and software?

Thanks very much.

I’m using a Banana PI (same hardware as the raspberry) to do basically what you are trying to.

The thing you must know is that the Seafile server (the PI) doesn’t store files like a smb folder, but it split them into little pieces, stored in a database.

So basically you need to set up the server, then set up a client to “fill” the server with those file you want. They will be stored in the database of the server. Those files can’t be found exploring the server, you’ll need to access them with a client, that could be the web browser, a seafile client (Win, Mac, Ios, Android, Linux, CLI) or seadrive.

Of course, you’ll need to setup properly the webaccess forwarding ports in your router(s).

Differences as far as I know:
So basically OMV act as a Nas in your LAN using Samba. In my experience this works very fast in LAN, but is widely unsuggested to use it over the internet because of security (uncrypted transmission, etc).
Instead using Seafile is not as fast (because of the database splitting process) as Samba in a LAN envoirement, but is indeed much more safer over the internet (where, we can say, usually speed is not the main focus), especially using encrypted connections (https) and password covered libraries.

In the past I’ve tried many solutions, like putting CLI and sever on same machine, but thats a waste of space.
What I ended up doing is using Seafile for everything, but I keep a shared folder on the PI to put bigger files through LAN I don’t really need over the internet. In case I really need them I just ssh into my PI and download via sftp (just for emergencies). Just use one (or more) client to add the files you need.