SeaDrive 0.5 on Terminal Servers / Multiuser Environment

Hallo,

I’ve already learned how to configure the Seafile client in a Terminal Server (TS) infrastructure. The solution to assign individual ports to each user is working - but not very convenient when you have a few hundreds of users on your TS farm.

Therefore, I was hoping that the new SeaDrive solution would deal with this problem of multiple users logged in in parallel in a better way - but recently found out that the first user logged in the TS successfully sees his libs on drive S:. However, the next user also now has a S:\ and an own different drive - which is empty. Not really convincing.

Q1: is there a hack to use SeaDrive on a TS infrastructure?

Q2: are there plans to adopt SeaDrive for a TS infrastructure?

Greetings,

Hannes

2 Likes

When we designed the architecture of SeaDrive, we have supporting multiple users in mind. There are still a few minor problems we have to fix to support the use case. In the end, each user can use a different drive letter for his own drive. It’s not possible to allow different users to see different contents in the same drive letter. This is a limitation of the driver we use.

1 Like

Dear Jonathan,

thank you for the very important information that you have the multiple user support on your to-do list. I will keep on waiting hoping that sooner or later SesDrive will be an realistic option for a TS environment.

Greetings,

Ch

Hi,

I’m new on this community but have been using seafile for a while. We have setup an Remote Desktop Environment and find out about SeaDrive. I was very excited to find this piece of software since I don’t want to synchronize my data on a close by server.

I had similar issur in a multi environment user using the 0.6.2 client. Any progress o supporting multiple user on RDS?

Thank you

Martin

The support for multi-users is finished. The feature will be shipped in version 0.7.0.

4 Likes

That will be awesome!! When should we expect seadrive 0.7.0?

Martin

Just noticed that version 0.7.0 was out. I tried it, still the same issues on my RDS. All user are trying to bind the same local machine S: drive which cause it to close unexpectedly as soon as another user start the seadrive client.

The drive mapping must be local to the user not the server. Or the S: drive must be unique to all sessions.

Martin

Yes this is still a limitation we have to work on. The drive is now hidden for different users, so the program cannot see the S: drive letter is already used.

Would it be possible to use mount points instead of drive letters?

I have seen this option in Dokany. We’ll have a look. Thank you for your suggestion.

Hi Daniel, I use 0.8.5 on WIN10 Home as a Terminal. Here the problem is that user A can see the same content of user B when both are logged in.
Chane [Client]
PORT = 13418 to user A and for example
PORT = 13419 to user B not works
The second user that logged in sees the data from the first user in drive S:

Any suggestion to make work correct on WIN10 Home as a Terminal?

Greetings,
Clemens

Currently it’s not supported to use SeaDrive in multi-user environment. All users can see the virtual drive. We added some support before but it prevents exe files from being run by Administrator.

Hi Jonathan,
yes this I have just read that currently is not supported. But I have read too that in version 0.6 it was possible. exe files to run from SeaDrive is not important for us. So you can send me a link to download and try version 0.6 for (now WIN10 Pro).
You can send me with email if you prefer.

thx,
Clemens

I would like to know if there is any progress on multi-user support (Windows Remote desktop service)… Thank you.

Hi I would like to use Seadrive on Windows Remotedesktop with multi-user too. Version 0.9.2 has still no support I guest.

At current time, no. Due to what Seadrive does and is, it’s very difficult to pull it off in a multi-user environment. The devs are aware of the multi-user issue, and it’s more OS related than Seafile related.

I think it may lead to a nightmare. :thinking:

1 Like

Indeed, as @daniel.pan has mentioned in previous posts.

Sorry for bringing up this old topic - but meanwhile there were new versions but i haven’t read any update on this.
Is the Seadrive Client now working on a Windows TS infrastructure?

1 Like

In 1.0.0 version there will be an option to only allow the current user access his/her own virtual drive.

1 Like