SeaDrive 2.0.10 released! Windows context menu extension and M1 CPU support for Mac

Merry Christmas and happy new year!

We have huge updates by the end of 2020. Hope you enjoy them.

• [Win] Add context menu
  • [Mac] Support Apple Silicon M1 CPU
  • [Linux] Unmount on exit
6 Likes

Nice!! This is a very nice present! Thanks a lot!

I tested the context menu integration. Great!

@Jonathan Now, that the one most sought-after feature has been added back to SeaDrive, could you expand a bit on the future development of SeaDrive’s context menu and the drive client in general?

• Will you add more functions to the context menu? (Create upload link, add password protection and auto expiration to link, …)
  • What are the development priorities for the client?
1 Like
  • install not working due to kernel driver not loading /should not ver 2.09 and 2.10 repair it ???/
  • there are no UNINSTALL instructions for macOS version, no uninstall package or script

Mac OS Big Sur 11.1 on M1 Silicon MacBook Pro

Hi @Peter_Vetrak

This is due to new security measure in the M1 MacBook: Change security settings on the startup disk of a Mac with Apple silicon – Apple Support (UK) You have to change the options.

You just need to remove the Application. There is usually no uninstallation script for Mac Apps.

These are on the dev plan. Given that most functionalities are done for SeaDrive and sync client, our priority for clients is on incremental improvements and bug fixes. Also a native App for Apple CPU is planned. But it requires many third-party library support, such as Qt. So it’s scheduled for the long term. For now the client runs by the compatibility layer provided by macOS.

Tx for hint, I figured it by myself /using google/ but its really not easy for average user and I will advise my friends not to do it - its security risk. Native ARM Apple Silicon app is a must for the future.

Anyway, thank you for all effort - Seadrive is one of a few cloud apps with working “sync on demand like” on MacOS - on Synology and Qnap apps SyncOnDemand works only on Windows client.

Thank you very much @Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,
I take the liberty to note down the incremental improvements that I have noticed over the last releases:

1.) More options in context menu (i.e., manual file lock, create upload link for folder, create sharing link with password and auto-expiration)

2.) Unique names for SeaDrive nodes in the Explorer nav bar when more than one Seafile account is configured (to tell the accounts apart - see screenshot below)

3.) Improved user feedback (aka error message)
a.) when files are copied in one of the category folders and
b.) when files get copied in a read-only folder

4.) Option to disable one or several category folders (i.e., “Shared with all”, “My libraries”)

5.) Width-adjustable columns and an extra time column in the Transfer Progress dialog
TransferProgressWindows_Lacks_WidthAdjustable_Columns_Time_Column_Persistent_Memory

6.) Width-adjustable columns in the Encrypted Libraries dialog (to tell the libraries apart with certain resolutions - see screenshot below)

7.) Thumbnail preview for libraries that are not “Always keep on this device”-d

Beyond incremental improvements, an interesting new feature for enterprises would be SSO with an Azure Token.

3 Likes

I did some more testing and I found one bug (one that most likely existed in previous versions too) and I made some observations that I’d like to report:

Bug:
When I “Always keep on this device” a folder/library, I expect that any new file added to this folder/library gets downloaded automatically.

This is not the case. A new file, uploaded either via the web interface or by another user to the synced folder/library, is show in SeaDrive with a “syncing” status, but the file is never downloaded (see situation in the screenshot below). The transfer progress does not show any download activity and the status icon never changes to “synced”.

The file only get downloaded when I double-click on it.

Oberservation:
When dropping a large file (think 5GB) in SeaDrive, the client starts the upload and the following behavior can be observed:
a.) There is no way of aborting the upload. When I delete the file, the upload continues. When I move the file, to another folder, the upload continues. When I shutdown SeaDrive and delete the file, the upload continues and the status icon changes to “cloud”. (I wonder how this is possible, where does SeaDrive take the file from?)
b.) The upload of files occurs strictly sequentially. Smaller files are not prioritized. The upload of the one large file may keep many smaller files from being synced to the server.
c.) The upload of the large file seems to block other features such as file locking.

1 Like

I’m running Seafile Drive Client 2.0.10 under Apple Silicon M1 (Mac mini). It works, but I’m wondering whether there is “native support”? In Activity Monitor it still shows “Intel”, so its running under Rosetta2?
Is this right?

Your observation is right.

As for your question:

1 Like

Thanks!
But: Am I so wrong to find that somewhat misleading?

Main thing: it works! Speed is not really an issue here.

For now it’s running in compatibility mode. We’ll work on native support later, when 3rd party libraries support M1.

This is the designed behavior. This is the same for sync client. The file is first copied into an internal cache area, indexed into chunks. Then the chunks are uploaded. So there is no way to stop syncing the file after it’s added to cache.

Good to know. Thanks. Just one follow up: You mention an internal cache area. Where is that?

C:\users\username\seadrive\data\storage

1 Like

Hi @Jonathan,

I took the liberty and tested the new SeaDrive client 2.0.12.

First off, I don’t have to tell you how much I like the Drive client 2.0. It’s great work! I couldn’t imaging my day-to-day work without it anymore.

Secondly, I noticed a few things that I wanted to share with you regarding 2.0.12:

a.) The new size-adjustable transfer progress window can cause funny display effects.

grafik grafik

In the first screenshot, the name column is wide enough to show most of the file name. In the second screenshot, I made the name column narrower. The progress and size column overlay the middle part of the file name, but the hind part of the file name, which is not covered by either the progress or size column, is shown again.

b.) The values in the size column of the transfer progress windows are shown during the upload/download, but get deleted thereafter. Is this the intended behavior?

c.) Would it be possible to add a space between “SeaDrive” and the username in the Windows Explorer navigation bar?

Thirdly, I observed two more things - probably old and unrelated to 2.0.12 - that I wanted to bring to your attention:

i.) I can create an internal link via the context menu, but clicking “create share link” does not do anything.

Additionally, there are no context menu options for libraries.

ii.) Locking and unlocking a file always requires a refresh for the file status to be correctly displayed. In the screenshot below, I manually unlocked (by way of the context menu) the seadrive installer, but it still shows the lock icon. The icon is updated when I hit F5, I click the refresh button or I exit the folder and re-open - not before.

This can be reproduced with any file type and also with automatic file locking in the case of office files.

Hi @Jonathan,

thanks for SeaDrive 2.0.12 and the great work! This has solved some issues from the past.

Maybe a useful feature request:

The use case is, that this user has a lof of data and libraries and is working with SeaDrive. Sometimes he wants to work offline and uses the feature “Always keep on this device” for those folders.

But there is no list of all the folders he marked with “Always keep on this device” in the past, so if he wants to undo this option you currently need to remember every single folder and remove this manually.

My idea would be to offer a simple window (like the transfer progress window) where you can see all those folders and remove this setting and / or have the option to add other folders that need to be stored offline.

@Jonathan Another issue with SeaDrive 2.0.12 was brought to my attention:

The file seadrive-gui.exe of SeaDrive 2.0.12 believes to be version 2.0.9. (I installed on a VM where no other seadrive client had been installed.)

This is problematic for automatic deployments when upgrading.

@Jonathan: I played around with the preconfiguration options for the SeaDrive client (https://help.seafile.com/faq/#preconfigure-options-for-seadrive)

I couldn’t get them to have the desired effect. I placed the keys in HKCU and HKLM.