SeaDrive for macOS 3.0.1 Beta is available for testing

So I did that, and then it showed my first level directories (great!). I tried to go to second level sub directories in that library and it wouldn’t work. So I had to go back to the SeaDrive and re-enter my encryption password. Then it was all working as expected. So it was a very difficult way to get it working.

To get it working I had to do the following:

1. Install the app fresh (by fresh I mean all the steps mentioned by Jonathan above in removing any evidence it existed previously).

2. Reboot.

3. Enter my encryption password for one of my libraries in SeaDrive. It accepted it and I got a green tick on the SeaDrive app in the menubar.

4. Closed the SeaDrive app.

5. Clicked SeaDrive in finder and then restarted SeaDrive.

6. Went back to “my libraries” in finder, and the first level directories displayed.

7. Tried to enter a sub directory, and got error message asking to try again.

8. Checked log and it was complaining that it required the encryption key.

9. Went back to SeaDrive and re-entered encryption key for the library. This time when I selected the library to re-enter the key, it popped up with the option of “sync”. So I clicked on that, and it asked for the password, and I entered it. It accepted the password.

10. Went back to finder, and all things were working as intended.

11. Then I rebooted, and it all fell apart again. Nothing worked. Uninstalled again.

So, my feedback is that this is very basic alpha version, and I can see the direction it’s heading, but I can see that there is a lot of work to do to get this into a beta testing form, let alone production ready.

I do look forward to when this is working, but for now, its so unstable and so many work arounds to get it to initially work (only for it to all break again on reboot), that its unusable for now.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to work on this.

Also, SeaDrive never crashed - so there are no crash logs to send you. Just similar logs to that above, with one new one asking for the encryption password.

1 Like

I tested with encrypted libraries. I started SeaDrive and it shows all non-encrypted libraries normally. Then I enter the password for an encrypted library. After that I can access the files in it.

So normally it should work. I guess the reason it doesn’t work on your mac was that the OS sometimes restarts the seadrive-file-provider process, which is the syncing daemon. In 3.0.1 version the main SeaDrive process doesn’t detect this restart so it can’t connect to the restarted daemon again. So when you enter the password it actually doesn’t go into the syncing daemon. That’s why you can’t access the encrypted library.

In 3.0.2 version the main SeaDrive process will reconnect to syncing daemon. So this issue may be solved. You can try again.