/seafhttp hardcoded

I know this has been coming up often, but I would like to inquire the state of the issue.

We are on the point of switching to owncloud after several years of successful seafile usage, since we can no longer provide the /seafhttp URL - our webspace is completely located under a path. In fact, I am just pressing the del button on the data space.

A chance that this is changing at any time?

Simply use a reverse proxy and dedicated Seafile host.

You will not be happy with Owncloud, it fails at its core functionality of syncing. No delta sync, all files are stored in their entirety on disk with zero attempts at even TRYING to be a repository or save disk space…

Just plain poor software.

Thank you for your comment.

It is not that simple, I’m afraid. As is common (I believe), all our servers are strictly firewalled. In fact, that policy hasn’t been enforced that strictly in recent years, so that’s why I was able to do exactly what you propose, but now it is.

The only server with direct external access is the HTTP server, which I have no access to, but where a predefined URL path is proxied into our application server. I will never be able to see anything that does not begin with that path.

Best wishes, Frank

Thank you for your comment.

Not being able to run under a chosen path was just simply a showstopper - end of the game. I know that owncloud has its shortcomings. We have been running both in parallel for quite some time and its performance was ok. When given the choice, in fact, most of our users decided for owncloud.

Best wishes, Frank

I am sorry to see you go. Your IT security(?) department should spend time for solutions and not block them out of the blue because they don’t really care.
Although I don’t really understand the problem here as Seafile runs via a local proxy + subfolder (path) as you need. Just use a local proxy and thats it.

Owncloud may work for a while, although it is slow in syncing. Really serious problems occure when you try to upgrade. It relies a lot on its DB which makes upgrades a nightmare.

If you still want us to help you please provide a network plan (with changed IPs and URLs) about your setup and we might find you a solution.

Although the policy is not worth anything I won’t comment on it any further.

I understood the setup as follow and thus as being said there is no solution left.

All traffic needs to go through the firewall. Server is in a DMZ and only a specific path is being forwarded to it. So anything else never actually reaches the server at all.