Seafile Client 6.1.0 requires discrete/dedicated GPU on macOS

I remarked that my discrete GPU on my MacBook Pro Late 2016 doesn’t get sleep as long as the Seafile client runs since version 6.1.0.

If I test it with gfxCardStatus the app does also show the process seafile-applet as a process that requires the discrete GPU so that it will never sleep and thus uses much more battery than it really needs.

It would be very nice to get a version of the client which fixes this behavior so that it runs also with the internal GPU. I’m also available for testing purpose. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If this is true, it is really bad! @daniel.pan Please fix asap.

1 Like

I have the same problem. Since the 6.1.0 client, macbook pro discrete graphics are activated. This should definitely not be necessary.

Same here. MacBook Pro 2017, High Sierra and Seafile 6.1.1 GPU always discrete (Radeon) and battery life dropping too fast.

In order to have a properly working device I had to downgrade to v6.0.7. However, this couldn’t be the solution. Unfortunately, even after two months there’s no reply of a developer… :sweat:

I can confirm that I have the same issue on my MacBook Pro. Will be there a bugfix for this issue?

Testing the new Seadrive beta, it’s the same behavior as in the client. GPU always discrete (Radeon) and can’t switch to integrated while sedative-gui is running.

This caused by using a new version of QT. We don’t have time to look into the problem yet…

Add me to the list of MacBook Pro users wanting this to be fixed, either by QT or by Seafile. I have had to start playing at running the Seafile client only at some specific moments, instead of always on, just because of this issue. This is especially annoying when running on batteries of course. When I have nothing running which is graphic intensive, the Seafile client forces the GPU to be used instead of the integrated graphics, and that sucks batteries needlessly for what Seafile client does… :slight_smile: and :frowning:
Certainly NOT a high priority thing, admitted, but please be sure not to let this defect slip too low on priority lists.

There is a quick fix provided by someone in github: https://github.com/haiwen/seafile-client/issues/984#issuecomment-340273375

For now you can apply that fix manually. We’ll include that in the upcoming seafile client 6.1.3 release.

Indeed that post in GitHub suggest to do this:

All that is required is opening up the Info.plist file inside Seafile Client.app and setting the key NSSupportsAutomaticGraphicsSwitching to true.
And it actually fixes the issue.

<key>NSSupportsAutomaticGraphicsSwitching</key>
<string>True</string>

Great! Thanks!

2 Likes