Seafile during loading, fills the disc

I have version, of seafile client, 7.0.7 and, once again, when I try to upload to the seafile server, the “client” system disk (where I installed windows with the seafile software) fills up based on the file that I have to move. Eg…
I have 17GB of data that I have to send to the seafile server, if I try to upload with the seafile client, the system disk (during the transfer) fills up with 17GB until the operation ends, and after a while it empties. And this happens every time I want to upload files with the seafile client! The only way to solve this problem is to upload via browser.
Why? how can you solve it?

You cannot “solve it”. The data is being indexed locally and deduplicated. That way each chunk of data has to be transferred to the server only once. It allows to only upload a files changes on change instead of reuploading the whole file.

You can change the location where that temporary data resides by moving your “Seafile” folder location to another disk on Seafile setup.

1 Like

And seadrive?.. also happens with seadrive ??

I am very surprised to see you back, vincenzo.

On January 1, you wrote:

I don’t like this thing at all !. I think that for seafile only small files are fine … but for large files it is absolutely NOT SUITABLE !. I will find other solutions … certainly better than this.

To then follow up with:

And it makes me angry that after more than a year, they still haven’t fixed the situation!
Anyway … I’ll go back to the good old and dear nextcloud

Old and dear nextcloud not so great after all?

Probably the same. Not sure about SeaDrive 2.x, though.

It’s a pleasure to hear from you again…! :grinning:

I am very surprised to see you back, vincenzo.
On January 1, you wrote:

I don’t like this thing at all !. I think that for seafile only small files are fine … but for large files it is absolutely NOT SUITABLE !. I will find other solutions … certainly better than this.

Yes!. I’m trying both … as I already said, nextcloud doesn’t like (at least on my HW) the slowness, that in this case seafile turns out to be a little faster. But I am still evaluating the situation well.

To then follow up with:

And it makes me angry that after more than a year, they still haven’t fixed the situation!
Anyway … I’ll go back to the good old and dear nextcloud

Old and dear nextcloud not so great after all?

I repeat to you that the ONLY problem with nextcloud is what I said above. And the BIG problem with seafile (only applies to client programs, be careful) is that it kills your disk! I understand the fact of the deduplicated backups, but frankly I have seen some software that adopt these solutions as regards the backup (and it has nothing to do with seafile or nextcloud) which are sincerely much more optimized than the seafile clients … but this is a other story.
Look, I think most likely you talk like that because maybe you haven’t noticed, or you don’t constantly move large amounts of data a day and then (maybe) realize that you have made a mistake and erase everything again to start again! … or maybe you noticed and you don’t care. Well … everyone thinks how they want … but please … DO ME A FAVOR … today or tonight or whenever you want, move something very heavy (more than 15GB) with seafile or seadrive (it’s the same) and at the same time open the “properties” panel of windows on your system disk (“C:”) and see how as you move the files, the GB of your disk decrease, based on the weight of the files you are moving … then, (if we want to create a situation of a “real” case) delete those files (suppose we loaded the wrong folder) … and re-run another upload with other files (maybe they could have a greater weight in GB) !. You could repeat it several times during a day!
Once this is done, we will talk about it …

Have a nice day my friend!

1 Like

Theoretically with seadrive it should not happen, as it does not have specific backup functions like those of seafile, since seadrive was designed mostly as a file viewer … (but also to upload
files, of course … at least I think …) otherwise, without seadrive, you would have had to see the data through the browser …
So technically seadrive shouldn’t “worry” about data deduplication like seafile does … I don’t know if I explained myself well. If they added an option that allows, at least to disable this (if someone has special needs), it would be perfect.

Sorry, but you didn’t get it at all. It has nothing to do with backups. It is THE reason why Seafile synchronization works so well. It cannot be “stopped”. When the client doesn’t do it the server does instead. Use it as is or take some other sw.

And as I’m not sure whether you read it or not: You can choose on which disk the temporary data resides on setup by changing the Seafile folder location which also contains the temporary data.

1 Like