Seafile Server in Docker is ready for testing!

Seafile Server in Docker is ready for testing!

TL;DR: You can install it by following the README

Why Seafile Server in Docker

Docker is becoming the de-facto standard of shipping server softwares, and now and then we are asked the question “Do you support running seafile server in docker?”. We believe docker can make it much easier to deploy a Seafile server on your servers and keep it updated. Now it is ready for testing.

Using docker, you can get a seafile sever up and running with only a few minutes. Letsencrypt verification is also done automatically if you want.

Getting Started

Please follow the getting started section in the README.

Current Limitations

• Doesn’t support Seafile Pro Server yet

Roadmap

• Support Seafile Pro Server

Special Thanks

Lots the design of seafile-docker is borrowed from the excellent discourse-docker project (this forum is powered by discourse and we really enjoy using it). Thanks for their insipiration!

5 Likes

Fantastic news, thanks alot!

…so it the docker container will run under ARM systems as well?

I’m afraid not, docker can only run on x86_64 system.

But Docker is running fine on my Cubietruck powered by http://blog.hypriot.com/ :astonished:

Okay, that’s something I’m not aware of. The official docker images are all for x86_64, and IIUC you need to build dedicated images for arm architecture. The Dockerfile for seafile image is quite straight forward, and I think we can leave the rpi+docker support to the community.

2 Likes

Okay. I don’t know when I will have time for it but I will give it a try. Thanks alot for official Docker support!

As mentioned above, this isn’t true - ResinOS for example has published prebuilt disk images for Raspberry Pi and a whole bunch of other platforms too, all with Docker pre-bundled, expressly built to run Docker on non-x86 platforms. Docker for smaller machines is a pretty quickly growing corner right now (disclaimer: I work for Resin.io, building a docker-based IoT platform, so I might be a bit biased there). I’ve got a raspberry pi at home running Docker to more easily manage and host Kodi though for example, it’s a good model.

Anyway, I’m super interested in this running this myself on a raspberry pi too @saljut7 - let me know if you get anywhere (or if you want any help!)

2 Likes

Thanks. Wrote you a PM with some (for the moment personal) ideas about this.

Are there instructions for migrating from a normal installation with local MySQL to the docker installation variant?

We don’t have such instructions. In general, the steps are like our document for “backup and restore”.

Hello Everyone!

I have a question. How can I change the /shared docker volume to another location instead of /var/seafile/shared ? To something like /media/sdb/shared .

I’m assuming I would have to edit the launcher if I am not mistaken?

Mahalo.

Edit: Disregard I found it. I made a change to the launcher sharedir=/media/sdb/shared

Hi all,

I got the hint from seafile sales department to use docker instead to run a vm on my asustor NAS Server.
I was able to download the Image, but don’t know now I have to do to get a running docker VM.
When call the Image in UI for docker I have several things which I can setup or have to setup.
Here are some Screesnhots, maybe some one can describe what I have to do.

Think or hope I am not the only one who don’t understand how it really works…

Best Theo

PS: Unfortuantely I can post only one picture…see the others below…

Hi,

Is this wonderful project still alive?

Looks like the GitHub repo has not seen an update since a few months…

Thanks

Hi,

I developed a similar container in this GitHub project: https://github.com/stonemaster/docker-seafile-server
The container supports automatic updates and has a focus on an easy setup experience. Raspberry Pi isn’t supported as of yet but pull requests are always welcome!

Regards

1 Like

Thanks for the tip, I will have a look!

[root@idbear seafile]# ./launcher bootstrap
Rebuilding mysql data dir
Starting mysqld
Waiting for mysqld to come online
Fixing root password
Shutting down mysqld
[2017-06-21 10:53:43] Generating local Dockerfile …
[2017-06-21 10:53:45] Now running setup-seafile-mysql.py in auto mode.
Checking python on this machine …
Checking python module: setuptools … Done.
Checking python module: python-imaging … Done.
Checking python module: python-mysqldb … Done.

verifying password of user root …
verifying password of user root … done

This is your configuration

server name:            seafile
server ip/domain:       192.168.1.160

seafile data dir:       /opt/seafile/seafile-data
fileserver port:        8082

database:               create new
ccnet database:         ccnet_db
seafile database:       seafile_db
seahub database:        seahub_db
database user:          seafile

Generating ccnet configuration …

done
Successly create configuration dir /opt/seafile/ccnet.
Generating seafile configuration …

Done.
done
Generating seahub configuration …

Now creating seahub database tables …

Error: Failed to prepare seahub avatars dir: [Errno 39] Directory not empty: ‘/opt/seafile/seafile-server-6.0.9/seahub/media/avatars/groups’
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/scripts/bootstrap.py”, line 196, in
main()
File “/scripts/bootstrap.py”, line 189, in main
init_seafile_server()
File “/scripts/bootstrap.py”, line 141, in init_seafile_server
call(’{} auto -n seafile’.format(setup_script), env=env)
File “/scripts/utils/init.py”, line 68, in call
return subprocess.check_call(*a, **kw)
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py”, line 541, in check_call
raise CalledProcessError(retcode, cmd)
subprocess.CalledProcessError: Command ‘/opt/seafile/seafile-server-6.0.9/setup-seafile-mysql.sh auto -n seafile’ returned non-zero exit status 1

Did you try to run the bootstrap command multiple times? If so you’d better start from scratch again.

I have the same problem.
It’s not work. When i run bootstrap again it write “Failed to connect to mysql server”
From scratch same error(((
Centos 7.4, Docker version 17.06.2-ce, build cec0b72