Seafile & Windows= Dead end buggy software

ok so i did some research, i ran resmon, seaf-server.exe shows a ton of ports , so does ccnet, but NONE are the 8000, and NO I am not typing the 127 address wrong

I think whoever setup that install doc was not paying attention, that is actually par for the course with open source software

I am at the conclusion that this software is very unstable, i have yet to see a single instance it works, I am losing my patience with one line answers

1. not the install (followed to the letter)
  2. not the port not even showing up on netstat or resmon
  3. not a typon on the address

any other takers

I will happily provide backend access to anyone who thinks they have an idea,

I really think Seafile is not for you :wink: . With your attitude you will have really difficulty finding support from other community members.
I’m running seafile on Windows Server 2012. And yes, it took a little learning, specially getting IIS configured to work with https and other small items. But I’m more than satisfied with the solution. Running rock-solid managing TBs of data of the complete family across geographies and many different devices.

6 Likes

I disagree

I think the software is amazingly buggy, and the docs are not written to be complete

I am glad you got it working, now would you mind please sharing how you went about that process

if its so robust why is it like pulling teeth

Did you even test connection to seafile with internal IP?

This is obviously the first step, before playing with public IPs in any server configuration. Public IP acces behind NAT is quite often broken, if ruter does not support NAT traversal correctly.

Set everything to internal IPs(check ccnet, seafile and seahub settings) than try connect, if not working try different port, if still not working post all 3 configuration files here and i think we will quickly see the problem.

Most configuration errors in seafile happen when people do not realize you have 3 config files, at least they are all in same folder now:)

1. The server is not near us. It is at a data center , it only has 1 IP, the external one

2. I’ll triple check the ports

3. If your referring to the files in the “conf” folder , sea file ccnet and the py settings , I attempted to share them here and the stupid forum wouldn’t let me

I’ll await further instructions

Hi @seafile_nodropbox

I wrote a step by step tutorial which works very fine for all my friends: Tutorial for Seafile CE + Nginx + dynamic DNS (on ARM / Cubietruck / RaspberryPi)

This is for GNU/Linux but I installed Seafile server on Windows as well later so maybe it is not a bad idea to take a RPi or a VM with Debian and test everything step by step (snapshots ftw) which would provide you detailed knowledge for later setups.

Seafile server setup is not easy but worth to take the challenge. :wink:

this tutorial is on linux, I have no interest in using the linux system, the software CLAIMS it works on windows , yet no one here has shown any proof of that, except for some non descript hot air from one user , who mysteriously did not bother to write back when asked how he made it work.

If anyone with any WINDOWS experience can help me with this problem I would appreciate it, I am pretty sure because it is open source there is a direct correlation as to WHY this software has so many issues.

I will most likely turn to a paid solution because this softwares stability is in serious doubt!

Hey man cool down… the only one having “so many issues” is you.

I told you the tutorial is on linux in the first place. Maybe here is no one running Seafile on a windows server because it makes (in my opinion) not much sense to run a transparent open source (so more trustworthy) data cloud system like Seafile on a totally intransparent closed source operation system dinosaur like windows?

Anyway before you start crying there are some step by step picture tutorials in the former Seafile forum (now owned by Syncwerk GmbH): https://forum.syncwerk.com/t/howto-Syncwerk-server-3-1-6-auf-windows-server-2012-installieren-2-von-2/206

Happy now?

1 Like

This software is probably not for you bud. While the docs get you a good starting point, you also have to be a good enough sysadmin to be able to troubleshoot things like no mysql connection on your own.

Maybe try owncloud? It’s much slower than seafile but you may be able to run an appliance VM of it on your Windows server and skip the installation woes.

Actually I am a former MCSE network administrator that used to work for the DOD, DOJ, and NSA computer mainframes. Technically I was never around mainframes, I was to young. I started in NOCS.

Anyway when anyone be that a simple based linux “pro” or a technically inclined and trained windows technician , looks at any manual its usually pretty cut and dry. This setup document clearly shows steps to take, but also has most likely left some out. If one follows the setup steps it will usually result in everything working, unless a “pro” left things out.

Linux may be this magical system with flexibility but windows to this day still remains the dominant operating system. I have no issue with linux, in fact I used to run Debian, Suse and Ubuntu, I stopped using the system when it became a chore to have to get every software new and run twenty commands to get a sound card working

If this works under windows, then it should work. Oh and to your comment about mysql, I setup databases all time with php for web servers, however the document never even tells anyone to set up a database, so what exactly is seafile connecting to at the beginning.

This software remains a mystery to me, and owncloud is no much better to that fact. There is a reason why dropbox is popular and easy. Alas we just wanted a way to set up an open source and STABLE software on our server so we could serve files to our project users

I have set up seafile also a several times for Windows (7, 8 and 10). Per default with SQLlite, but also with MYSQL.
All of this systems were running without problems, but i have migrated them to Ubuntu, because newer versions are earlier available for Linux.

Just now, I have read the actual windows install documentation and tried it: It took me exactly 7 (in words: SEVEN) minutes to set up the server for windows, INCLUDING the time for downloading, extracting, python setup and reading the manual. The server works fine with SQLlite.

Please note: PEBCAK

6 Likes

Ste_p

I think this is all well and good, but if you look at my original post , which was the install under windows 2008 server you will see that all is not well, any suggestions to work through troubleshooting

I see lots of people here that “Claim” that the software works well, yet no one willing to open up their “vast knowledge” and help figure out why mine does not

i am not whining I am simply asking for help for a software that clearly does not install the way it is supposed to, and functions even less like it was said to have worked

It does, on Linux. I don’t use Windows at all

Maybe you should try to upload your log files here or to any hosting site like pastebin. Without these we can only guess…

1 Like

Sounds like a plan, Ill recreate a fresh install and follow that startup doc to the letter, then ill get the logs here for people to pour over

I am running Seafile Server on Windows 10 Enterprise without any issues, using nginx and SQLite.
I am sure we can figure your issues out together.

wow

that would be awesome, I have been busy lately and it has been on the back burner, but I could really use the help,

thanks res80, what time zone are you in, maybe we could connect via PM so we could figure it out, I can even give you some RDP access to take a peek.

I just went out and bought a trial of Dropbox pro since this software was so much of a pain it set my team back a weeks work and productivity, I still have no intentions of using dropbox in the long term if i can get this thing working properly

maybe Res80 is from Antarctica ???

No, res80 is from Europe, but had a day off on Sunday…
Since you are running Windows Server, are you using Seafile with nginx or IIS?
And which database did you try? mysql or sqlite?
the latter is easier to setup, because it is inbuilt to Seafile, but might have some disadvantages for multi-user systems.
We are using seafile with three users, and have no issues with sqlite.

Oh, and do you want to use seafile only on LAN or with public IP?
Do you have a static IP? or do you use DynDNS?

Hey there ,

I own a stack of dedicated IPS, our servers are our own and not shared hosted servers

As for the server backbone it is on IIS,

As for what database , that part confused me as it said in the guide when you first set this up you do not need a database, which seemed weird to me, although I never got that far so

Probably about 50 users max, each would have the client on their computers , when the master copy was changed they would all update

It would be a public address but secured through user auth