Seafile, Windows (server), and WebDAV

windows

Hello!

I recently downloaded the latest (6.0.7) version of the Seafile Community Edition Server for Windows. I have installed it on my server, and it works great - I can access it from the web or the client, sync properly, upload and download, etc.

However.

I have been attempting to get the proported WebDAV capabilities (advertised here) to work. I attempted placing the seafdav.conf file in $root_drive\seafile-server\conf, and set the configuration file so the server would be operating on port 8080 as a standalone server - no Apache or nginx integration (as found here) That doesn’t work. At all. I have restared the server process multiple times trying to tweak the configuration, and nothing comes up from either a WebDAV client or just trying to access it through a web browser. I’ve also searched the seafile-server and normal Seafile directories for a “seafdav” plugin, and found nothing.

I have two questions:

1.) Is the WebDAV integration actually supported in the Windows server edition 6.0.7?

If so…

2.) Is there a configuration step that I am missing to get the WebDAV server process up and running?

Thank you for your time.

WebDAV should work on Windows server too. What error do you get when you access it from web browser?

When I try to access http://seafile.lithorien.net:8080/ (as configured in the conf file), the browser returns “The page can’t be displayed,” and when I try to just telnet to port 8080, it tells me “connection failed”. I know the seafile server is running because http://seafile.lithorien.net:8000/ works just fine.

Additionally

I checked the Windows Firewall settings. Both seaf-server.exe and ccnet-server.exe are accepting connections through TCP and UDP. The configured ports are “Any,” so presumably there’s nothing there that would block 8080.

When I run “netstat -a,” there’s nothing even listening on port 8080. This makes me wonder if I am missing files, though I did try redownloading and reinstalling the server before I posted here.

Can you post your seafdav.conf?

Sure can!

seafdav.conf

[WEBDAV]
enabled = true
port = 8080
fastcgi = false
share_name = /

Have you made sure that no other application uses port 8080?

Yes. I changed the port in the configuration file to 5001 (which I know is free also) and restarted the server. Again, netstat -a did not show any listening service on that port. I changed it /back/ to 8080, checked netstat -a again, and still nothing.

You can check controller.log to see whether seafdav was started.

You can check controller.log to see whether seafdav was started.

Ah… that log doesn’t exist for me. Anywhere - I did a full search of the drive the seafile server is installed to.

I have ccnet, seafile, seafserv, seafserv-applet, seahub, and seahub_django_request. Of those logfiles, none of them mention WebDAV or seafdav anywhere in them - or any attempt to spin up a WebDAV server.

Edit: As confirmation, I also just now tried downloading a fresh 6.0.7 tar.gz, installing it on my home computer (Windows 10 Pro), configuring for WebDAV… and the same symptoms - no controller.log, no seafdav startup, nothing like that. The main server still runs just fine either way.

Ok, so on further digging, I found the GitHub page here for the Seafdav server. I was under the impression that it was supposed to be integrated with the initial installer - not something I have to pull down from a GitHub repo and configure?

If I do have to pull it from GH, is there documentation on how to modify it to work on a Windows server (since I can’t exactly run bash shell scripts from Windows, AFAIK…)?

Thank you for all the ideas so far, I appreciate the help.

Just checking up to see if anyone else has any ideas on why I may be missing the controller.log, or why the WebDAV server aspect isn’t running…

I appreciate all and any help.

I got it working by extracting seafdav to C:, then copying the libraries from seafile-server’s libs folders to my python27 libraries folder, then changing the paths such as

CCNET_CONF_PATH = 'C:\seafile-server\ccnet'
SEAFILE_CONF_DIR = 'C:\seafile-server\seafile-data'
SEAFILE_CENTRAL_CONF_DIR = 'C:\seafile-server\conf'

in services.py (at C:\python27\lib\site-packages\seaserve\service.py)

then installing seafobj from github into that python libraries directory (C:\python27\lib\site-packages) and modifying the config paths in it inside objstore_factory.py

then again setting the config directories in seaf_utils.py in C:\seafdav\wsgidav\addons\seafile\seaf_utils.py

then running the webdav server with the command “python -m wsgidav.server.run_server” from C:\seafdav\

Im certain I went about this the complete wrong way, I probably could have just added some environment variables and have been done without edits, but I just wanted to see if it would work. Its all pretty self-explantory if you fix the error messages one after another that you get when trying to run the server “python -m wsgidav.server.run_server” , so good luck lol

Alright, cool, Naka. Thank you - there is some progress here. The server comes up and binds to localhost:8080, though it’s not accessable from an external client (yet) even with the port open. That’s ok though.

I do have a question for you: What do you use for seafile.ini? I had to create my own, and in it, I put c:\seafile-server\seafile-data. The file resides in the ccnet directory (which I then pointed CCNET_CONF_PATH to as an environment variable - it does work). I don’t think it’s being read, however, because when I point the local browser to it, I just get a blank directory listing.

Thank you for getting me started! I do appreciate it, a lot.

HAHA! IT WORKS!

Alright, so for anyone in the future who comes across this issue, Naka’s stuff was correct. I will put the step-by-step below for easy following…

1.) Download the seafdav server from here, and the seafobj files from here.

2.) Extract the seafdav files into a folder in the root directory (such as c:\seafdav)

3.) Copy the files from C:\Seafile\seafile\lib (or wherever your seafile install directory was) into C:\Python27\Lib.

4.) Copy the files from the seafobj into C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages

5.) Set your environment variables as follows:

CCNET_CONF_PATH = ‘C:\seafile-server\ccnet’
SEAFILE_CONF_DIR = ‘C:\seafile-server\seafile-data’
SEAFILE_CENTRAL_CONF_DIR = ‘C:\seafile-server\conf’

6.) Create a file called “seafile.ini” in your C:\seafile-server\ccnet folder, and in it, put the path to your data directory (such as c:\seafile-server\seafile-data).

7.) Execute the server by opening a command prompt, navigating to c:\seafdav, and running the following:

python -m wsgidav.server.run_server -H 0.0.0.0

This will make it publically accessable - and it’s what worked for me. Browsers won’t show anything, but connecting with a WebDAV client (such as WPS Office on a Kindle Fire) will navigate just fine.

Edit: For those who want to run this as a service, I recommend NSSM. When installing, just point it to your python.exe file, set the startup directory to be c:\seafdav, and the parameters will be “-m wsgidav.server.run_server -H 0.0.0.0”.

Webdav for seafile on windows server

Hello,
Help me figure out what I’m doing wrong. I try to configure the seadav server to windows 10, follow your prompts and as a result it turns out:

c:\Seafdav>python -m wsgidav.server.run_server -H 0.0.0.0
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "C:\Python27\lib\runpy.py", line 174, in _run_module_as_main
    "__main__", fname, loader, pkg_name)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\runpy.py", line 72, in _run_code
    exec code in run_globals
  File "c:\Seafdav\wsgidav\server\run_server.py", line 50, in <module>
    from wsgidav.addons.seafile.domain_controller import SeafileDomainController
  File "wsgidav\addons\seafile\domain_controller.py", line 2, in <module>
    import ccnet
ImportError: No module named ccnet

I realized my mistake with: …ImportError: No module named ccnet…
Now I do not understand where to register variables ))) please, help me…
… understood everything - CCNET_CONF_PATH - wrong, CCNET_CONF_DIR - true. thanks to all.

new: How to do with HTTPS?

I’m getting the same error as above…

Anyone have any ideas as to the fix?

I’ve also tried creating the environment variable [quote=“3xl81, post:16, topic:2119”]
CCNET_CONF_DIR
[/quote]

But that did not work either

okay with some further tinkering i managed go get it to run - however now i cant manage go push or pull data via webdav - albeit i can connect, so im one step closer…

A little more info on the error I get when pushing or pulling data from the WebDAV:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC '-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN' 'http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd'> 
<html><head> 
<meta http-equiv='Content-Type' content='text/html; charset=UTF-8'> 
<title>403 Forbidden</title> 
</head><body> 
<h1>403 Forbidden</h1> 
<p>403 Forbidden: Access denied to the specified resource</p> 
<hr/> 
<a href='https://github.com/mar10/wsgidav/'>WsgiDAV/1.2.0.pre</a> - 2017-08-22 20:17:52.289000 
</body></html>

I had the same issue and set the environment variable CCNET_CONF_DIR but still without success. How did you eventually get it going, please?