Seeding fails. How to upload large gigbyte size folders

Uploading huge files over http/https almost always fails, which is not a seafile issue, as far as I see.
I’d always recommend to upload huge files using the client.
Why is that?

  1. Uploading a multi-GB file, you will almost always nuke the capabilities of your webserver.
    For example: Apache 2.2 and NGINX prior 1.8 (I believe) were not even able to handle request bodies bigger than 2GB. Even if you set the according directives to “0” (no limit).
  2. Server configuration. Is there even enough temporary memory for you to use?
    In a poorly configured server, there might probably be no limitation to the temporary upload directory. For security reasons it is sometimes limited to just a few GB, or even only a few 100MB.
  3. See 2. Security reasons. Allowing such big files will almost always cause security issues. Just think about multiple uploads with huge files: Server denies service to other users because it has to handle multiple GB of temporary data, cluttering RAM, disk i/o, etc.

What do you mean by “web client” ?