Sending Seafile E-Mail Notification with my Exchange Server

So I tried to configure the seahub_settings.py to be able to send E-Mail Notifications with my existing Exchange Server.

#Email EMAIL_USE_TLS = False EMAIL_HOST = 'myexchangewebmailserver.de' EMAIL_HOST_USER = 'admin@mydomain.de' EMAIL_HOST_PASSWORD = 'myscreetpassword' EMAIL_PORT = 25 DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL = EMAIL_HOST SERVER_EMAIL = EMAIL_HOST

The funny fact about this is that it actually works when I send it with the PowerShell command Send-MailMessage.
But when I try to send an Upload-Link or something from Seafile it says that there is an Internal Server Error.

The reason why I don’t want to use my local SMTP Server is that the E-Mails won’t go through our Spam-Filter.

I’m running a 6.0.7. Seafile Server on Windows Server 2016 Standard.

I know this is not your answer but I recommend you to run seafile in a ubuntu hyper-V VM, it’ll work much better.

I found a solution for that Problem.
You have to activate anonymous sending on your Exchange. After that register your Seafile server as a host relay on Exchange.

Than just define the following configs:

#Email EMAIL_USE_TLS = False EMAIL_HOST = 'myexchangewebmailserver.de' EMAIL_PORT = 25 SERVER_EMAIL = 'your@email.com' DEFAULT_FROM_EMAIL = SERVER_EMAIL

1 Like

If your Exchange is configured to accept SMTP connections from the internet, everyone can send mails over your Exchange server. You should check this.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. No, only my seafile server has the permission to send emails anonymous. No one else is allowed to send emails over my exchange.