Shared Libraries

Hi, I tried to installed Seafile Server on my Raspberry Pi and when I execute the setup script during the ccnet configuration it failed and says me :

/media/UsbDrive/seafile/seafile-server-6.1.1/seafile/bin/ccnet-init: error while loading shared libraries: libsearpc.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Why it can’t install ?

1 Like

Have you checked the permissions of the files /folders?

Where do I can see the permissions ?

I highly recommend you do some basic Linux training before attempting to go any further.

I fixed this issue by installing the seafile-server using “sudo” command.
Make sure you install seafile not on an external hard drive. Instead you can configure seafile-server to make use of external hard drive. In addition make sure you extract the tar.gz using “sudo” again.

You should’nt install seafile as root. Create a new user instead. The seafile directory has to be owned by that user. There are lots of tutorials about that among the net.

This is not the correct answer. Do not run software as root that does not need to be ran as root. Seafile does not need to be ran as root.

1 Like

why make things complicated?

To make it secure :wink:

you are going to hack me? or anybody? first of all we should use SSL. are most people doing it?
I mean you are right, but sometimes we should think of the CEO rule: Cost + Effort < Output?

Installing and running software as a non-root user is not complicated. It’s the expected and right thing to do.

http://bencane.com/2012/02/20/why-you-should-avoid-running-applications-as-root/

You can do what you want, but you won’t ever catch me running third party software as root. It’s just not necessary and exposes your entire system not only to potential compromise WHEN (not if) an exploit is discovered, but also corruption if the software has a bug that causes it to crash or corrupt data in some way. Now it’s not just corrupting it’s own files, but has the potential to corrupt any and every file on the system.

Don’t be lazy, it will come back to haunt you one day.

2 Likes

Well, you convinced me! :slight_smile: Thanks for providing the nice post. It was a pleasure to discuss with you.

2 Likes