Single storage backend separation

I have a question about the backends available for single storage backend. I use s3 compatible backend which works great but the performance is not as good as local storage. So, I decided to separate the fs and commit backend on the local filesystem and leave the blocks storage on the s3 server. Migration went well. It works great so far, however I am not sure if that will continue in the future since I didn’t see this use case documented anywhere. Is splitting the single backend among different storage location advisable or am I going to run into issues in the future?

1 Like

Hey goodnewz,

I don’t see any reasons why this will not work in the future. Some weeks ago Seafile Ltd. recommended this approach to me for a customer with an server that has SSD and HDD-Drives.

Best regards
Christoph

1 Like

Great to hear Christoph. Were you able to specify a location outside the seafile main installation directory for the different portions of the backend? I tried the following in seafile.conf but it didn’t work:

[commit_object_backend]
name=fs
dir=/mnt/seafile/storage

It defaulted to the storage directory inside of the seafile-data directory at the installation location.

Hi goodnewz,

I have no experience with your settings. What I already did is the following:

1. I used a symlink to put the data-blocks to another device.
    with a symlink seafile finds everything in the folder seafile-data. The seafile folder strukture keeps “normal” but the seafile blocks are stored on another device and only linked with a symlink.

2. use multiple backends configuration
    create a json file with the description of the desired backend. Here is the explanation.
    https://manual.seafile.com/deploy_pro/multiple_storage_backends.html

Best regards
Christoph

Hi,

it’s definitely possible to specify directories outside the seafile installation directory. In our cluster Seafilein installed in /opt/seafile and the backends are mounted below /fsapp.
Perhaps my storage configuration can serve as an example (there are 10 more backends defined between ›Seafile 001‹ and ›Seafile 012‹ :

[
{
"storage_id": "nfs_001",
"name": "Seafile 001",
"is_default": false,
"fs":      {"backend": "fs", "dir": "/fsapp/seafile_storage/001/seafile.rlp.net"},
"commits": {"backend": "fs", "dir": "/fsapp/seafile_storage/001/seafile.rlp.net"},
"blocks":  {"backend": "fs", "dir": "/fsapp/seafile_storage/001/seafile.rlp.net"}
}
}
"storage_id": "nfs_012",
"name": "Seafile 012",
"is_default": true,
"fs":      {"backend": "fs", "dir": "/fsapp/seafile_storage/012/seafile.rlp.net"},
"commits": {"backend": "fs", "dir": "/fsapp/seafile_storage/012/seafile.rlp.net"},
"blocks":  {"backend": "fs", "dir": "/fsapp/seafile_storage/012/seafile.rlp.net"}
}
]

Best regards

Thomas

Hey goodnewz,

I think I was not very precise in my last answer. It is not possible to “just symlink” your blocks-folder to another device. This will result in an error like that:

[08/02/2019 11:29:57 AM] repo-op.c(1112): failed to index blocks[08/02/2019 11:30:19 AM] ../common/block-backend-fs.c(356): [block bend] failed to commit block a7f2a730-75fa-4b97-8165-969cb97b4e06:0fcf6475f0e89829032e2c6c40087471ddb1a785: Invalid cross-device link
[08/02/2019 11:30:19 AM] ../common/fs-mgr.c(559): failed to commit chunk

The blocks-folder has to be on the same device like configure in ccnet/seafile.ini.
BUT it is possible to move the complete seafile-data folder to another device and then add symlinks back to the origin device.

Here is my complete example:

1. /dev/sda (very fast SSD)
  2. /dev/sdb (slow but big HDD) is mountet on /mnt/storage

In ccnet/seafile.ini you add /mnt/storage/seafile-data as the new folder. But inside /mnt/storage/seafile-data you can symlink the fs and commit folder that are stored on /dev/sda.

Best regards
Christoph

1 Like

Thank you Christoph and Thomas. Very helpful. I feel a bit embarrassed, of course symbolic links! I don’t know why I didn’t think of that.

Storage

/dev/sda --> DC NVME
/dev/sdb --> DC HDD

DC NVME

/ (root)

Seafile path

/opt/seafile/haiwen/

HDD Path

/opt/seafile/haiwen/seafile-data

ccnet/seafile.ini (Server)

Seafile just ignores the seafile-data dir location configured in ccnet/seafile.ini (7.1.1) silently if the path does not exist and uses the default path. No error message, it just starts normally. Why? Just why? This takes a lot time to debug and might cause data loss if not found. :-/
The server manual doesn’t contain any information about ccnet/seafile.ini either (Server side).

The following worked but is to complicated I think:
ccnet/seafile.ini contains /opt/seafile/haiwen/seafile-data/

Symlinks

ln -s /opt/seafile/haiwen/flash_data/storage/fs/ /opt/seafile/haiwen/seafile-data/storage/fs
ln -s /opt/seafile/haiwen/flash_data/storage/commits/ /opt/seafile/haiwen/seafile-data/storage/commits
ln -s /opt/seafile/haiwen/flash_data/httptemp/ /opt/seafile/haiwen/seafile-data/httptemp
ln -s /opt/seafile/haiwen/flash_data/tmpfiles/ /opt/seafile/haiwen/seafile-data/tmpfiles
ln -s /opt/seafile/haiwen/flash_data/webdavtmp/ /opt/seafile/haiwen/seafile-data/webdavtmp

chown -R seafile:seafile /opt/seafile/haiwen/flash_data/
chown -R seafile:seafile /opt/seafile/haiwen/seafile-data/

This way it doesn’t throw any errors and one keeps to the default path style without potential Seafile code/config changes during an update that were silently introduced (one again, always again). O_o

Update:
I though that this might work but in fact it does not. Will just keep fs and commits on hdd for now. No time to test further.

Does this work with Seafile CE too?

And whats about the seafile.ini, is it already used with Seafile 7.1?