Slow upload trough webbrowser

Did you consider hyper-v or the virtual HW beeing the bad player here?
We run KVM, VMware and LXC/OpenVZ or baremetal HW and have no issues.

Espesially drops are weird and seem to be an I/O caching issue.
I suggest you increase the chunksize for files from the default 1MB to 2MB or more and test again.

Ok, how do I Do that?

I have been optimizing nginx now all night so the issue are not there I hope.

Is it this option? I did find this in the manual
[fileserver]
fixed_block_size=2

I did change it, nothing happend rellay it was around 30-35MB/s.

here’s a pic over the harddrive - it’s going up and then down and so it goes.
Is it any better way to see the harddrive working or can you tell from this that I’m maxing the disk?

And as I told earlier why can I max the disk around 90-110MB over SMB, internal access and also trough Seafile Client syncing? The only time it drops is when it’s using the webbbrowser.

Edit:
I have installed latest version of NGINX and it did not solve anything.
The only thing that it did solve was that with HTTP2 enabled now the speed is 18MB/s but without HTTP2 it is 28-33MB/s, but the issue are the same.

How many CPUs and what files (type, size etc) do you copy?
SMB uses some weird caching mechanism which speeds it up, but also corrupts data quickly. Seafile write the blocks once received, which makes the HD do what it does. When uploading via web it first writes the chunks to the temp folder and then writes them to the harddrive. So there is your bottleneck most probably.

Why do you not use the server bare metal? You may try Proxmox (free) also, which doesn’t have as much overhead as any Windows systems brings.

BTW, yes.

I have tried to upload 6GB .iso files and also some small 80MB .exe files etc. and the speed is the same.

I only have one CPU Xeon E3-1265l lv2 but it’s only on 12% when I’m transferring.

I’m currently installing a lab-host of Nextcloud with Apache2 insted of NGINX
Far less powerfull then my seafile setup, but I just want to see if I have the same issue with that one.

So, When I upload trough NextCloud it goes a bitt faster not much, and when I download it starts at 68MB/s and then dropdown to around 40MB/s I’m guessing it’s the same speed as Seafile? But the both applications shows it different and uses different algoritmhs.

@DerDanilo @shoeper

It is very likely a slow disk issue. Hard disks do have high latency and cannot handle many IOPS.

Please copy 1000 1 MiB files with Seafile folder upload and SMB and compare those speeds.

1 Like

My guess is the same, so I’ll order:
WD Black 4TB
SATA 6Gb/s (SATA 3.0), 128MB Cache, 7200RPM, 3.5", Dual processor

The disk I have there now is:
WD Red 3TB
SATA 6GB/s (SATA 3.0), 64MB cache, 24x7 reliability, IntelliPower, NASware

The cache file is twice the size on the black disc, I’m guessing that’s a good thing :slight_smile:

As I have a VHDX on the drive for 2TB I can just transfere it to the new drive and then attache it to the main Hyper-V machine agian.
And then just increase it with 1TB more :slight_smile:

The WD Red disk 'll bee a streaming disk insted, it can handle that pritty nice at max speed 100MB/s but then it’s over plex protokoll.

Why no RAID? I only see single disks, you should use a RAID anyways if this is important data.
There is nothing wrong with the WD Red 3TB, just that they run at 5.400RPM if I’m not mistaken.

You could run Proxmox as server and setup a SW RAID with the data disks if you have no HW raid controller at hand.

@Calby When do you see 90MB/s ? When you copy a file into the drive, or when the file is being uploaded to the server?

Indexing happens after the file is uploaded.

1 Like

I can’t see 90MB/s in Seafile but take Transmission for a example (torrent downloading) then I can get a speed of 78MB/s and when I transfer from one WD Red to an other WD Red in Windows I can get speed around 100MB/s to 110MB/s.
When I’m using Seafile Windows client I can get around I think it was 80MB/s (I’m not home now so I can’t try).

The 30MB/s upload/downloads are only in Webbbrowser and WebDAV.

It’s a bug in my HPe Microserver that makes it impossible to run RAID (on the controller) if I’m using one SSD and I’m using one SSD for the OS on the server and also for the VM OS VHDX.

I know about SW RAID but I don’t want to put that on the CPU and the RAM as I need that for other things.

I use the same HP Microserver in SW Raid with Linux, it works just fine.

Ok, then I must have been understanding it wrong.
But now when I have it in ACHI can I change it without loosing my data?

SW RAID in LINUX on BareMetal, not Windows on it. And yes you can, but if you have no experience with it I advise against it. It’s a bit complicated to migrate discs with data on them and it only works if you have enough disks.

You may try Proxmox on the HP Microserver. It runs without problems on the machine I installed it with SW raid.

I have similar issue with the SeaDrive/ it uploads to seaFile server very slow (10 MB/s maximum generaly 5-6 MB/s). When I downloaded files from old windows server speed was 50-60 MB/s
I do not understand what can hel me to increase speed. Neither CPU nor network is loaded more than 2-4%

There are a lot of factors that affect speed, especially upload speeds… Here are a few:

• Hard disk speed
  • Using wifi vs wired
  • NAT loopback capability of the router
  • Network backbone traffic
  • File sizes
  • If operating from a remote location, upload speed limitations of the ISP connection at the remote
  • Running low on memory

Those are just a few things. More info about your system would help us narrow it down.

I have no such upload limits even if I send files over internet in public cloud. But to my local server (it is wired in the same local network, it is new fast server) the speed is generally 6-7 MB/s, it is very slow. Download speed is ok.