[SOLVED]Page unavailable after minor version upgrade (6.2.5 to 6.3.1)

After a successful upgrade from 6.2.5 to 6.3.1, the web interface is broken.

But syncing via the desktop (MacOS - Seafile Client 6.1.8) or mobile client (iOS - SeafilePro 2.7.7) works fine. Any idea what could be the issue?

My concealed config files can be found https://hackmd.io/s/Bkgbua4MX.
My seahub.log can be found seahub.log - Pastebin.com.

I have already found Solved: Web interface failing / django.request handle_uncaught_exception Internal Server Error which described a similar if not the same error, but I can’t find the tmp/seafile_cache which was essential to the solution.

I don’t know if this is your full nginx config, then more than one thing is missing. But for a alternative port, you have to write proxy_set_header Host $host:$server_port;

Edit: Grammar

Yes, it was indeed my full nginx config. I just added your suggestion and restarted nginx & seafile. Sync via desktop & mobile applications continue to work, but the web interface is still broken. I updated https://hackmd.io/s/Bkgbua4MX, too, to reflect my modifications.

Oh, I just saw you used the other configuration mode for your nginx config. Any purposes why? I’m just curious, I always use the other option.

Ok.

  1. 018-06-30 12:03:44,377 [WARNING] django.request:152 get_response Not Found: /api2/events/ is unimportant and a Pro feature, so delete it to prevent confusion.
  2. I would stop the server, change the folder permissions with chmod -Rc a+rwx /opt/seafile/ and make minor-upgrade.sh to renew the files, maybe then it will work.
    If it works then, you could try to set the file rights back. I had also problems that some files needed rights from oher users by installing 6.3.1, but I don’t remember them.

Edit: seems it was seahub-data, if it still don’t work then, I would try to change all rights.

Thank you! It solved my issue.

No problem! I forgot that I had to change this one permission.