SSD for Seafile Server

Hello,

I have a seafile CE running on a 8TB HDD (4TB are in use).
I dont have problems with Memory or CPU, all is good e more than need.

But, i’m having 5+ alerts of Disk I/O is overloaded on Seafile per day on my zabbix.
The users are reporting that seafile is be coming slow with the time, we have 200 users active now and increasing.

I’m thinking to buy a SSD and migrate my server.

That will increase my performance? SSD is really good for a seafile server? I will get 10x more speed?

Yes SSDs are going to increase the speed significantly because of their high iops

2 Likes

Will SSDs speed up your Seafile server? Definitely! Will it be 10x? Well, that’s a lot. I am not sure. But it will be significant.

Keep in mind: The higher I/Os of SSDs pay off in particular to speed up data base queries. Hence, moving the OS and the database to the SSD will give you a fat performance boost. The performance boost of migrating the entire seafile-data folder to SSDs is small, comparatively speaking. In other words, if you want to save money, don’t buy 8TB of SSDs. Just buy a single 500GB SSD and keep the blocks on the HDDs. Or you can also buy two SSDs and make an SSD RAID for your database. That’s pretty cool.

1 Like

It depends on his workload. When many files are synchronized / accessed in combination with the larger amount of users even accessing the actual data can easily cause bottlenecks and while an HDD is 200 iops an SSD can get 2000 and more on writes and even 10 times more than that on reads.

Using an SSD as cache could also help in case of a more read intensive workload. Haven’t tried that out myself so far, though (german article: https://www.linux-magazin.de/ausgaben/2016/04/flashcache/).

1 Like

Hi everyone, i bought a SSD for my server, i migrate the OS and Seafile-Mysql on SSD and the Seafile-Data on HDD. The problem with my server is done now.

The performance of seafile server get a significantly boost permonance (including seahub), and the sync files of seadrive clients are speed up.

Thanks @rdb @shoeper.

2 Likes