Storage Size Discrepancy

Edit: Moved to Feature Request 9/25/18

Feature Request Summary:

The UI is reporting “Storage Used” but does not accurately report the true disk space utilized. Admin currently has to go to the cli to find the real number.

To alleviate confusion “Storage Used” should be expanded to look like the following ie.

Current Data Set: 22 GB
Historical Data Files: 3 GB

Total Storage Used : 25GB

That would reduce confusion.

Original Post Discussion Follows:

The System Admin UI indicates 357GB used. However cli indicates 577GB in the seafile-data folder. (Debian 8 w/ MySql, Server 6.2.5, prior to upgrade same reported usage.)

I use encrypted folders but does anyone know why the large discrepancy exists? Are history files are not included in server UI usage figure???

probably unused blocks. Garbage collector been running recently?
https://manual.seafile.com/maintain/seafile_gc.html

The history of libraries is not included in the users quota, never checked if it is included in the figure in the UI

Ran the Garbage collector. Don’t know when the last time was, long enough that I forgot about it. Thanks for mentioning it. After GC:

UI Reads 357GB, Cli Reads 544GB.

So it cleaned it up some, but still a discrepancy…

@daniel.pan any idea, is this a bug???

There is no bug, i think you have enabled history setting and not set a maximum duration. This way files would remain forever.

Correct, I have enabled history setting and keep all files.

I take issue with the UI reporting Storage Used, but then not accurately reporting that figure. Admin should not have to go to the cli to find the real number.

To alleviate confusion “Storage Used” should be expanded to look like the following ie.

Current Data Set: 22 GB
Historical Data Files: 3 GB

Total Storage Used : 25GB

That would reduce confusion.

Good idea.