Ubuntu Client PPA not up to date

The Ubuntu PPA for Seafile has been updated with version 6.1.8.

let me bring this thread back to the original topic, which is still unsolved:

a while ago, i contributed the code basis for building proper debian packages for seafile. i also suggested creating a PPA to make supporting all relevant ubuntu versions much easier.

the fact that seafile versions differ now (and are totally outdated for the most part) between ubuntu releases lets me suspect that the PPA is not set up correctly. you only need a single build recipe to fetch the code of new releases automatically from a git repo and build it for all flavours of ubuntu you checked in the config. there is no manual intervention necessary to have all up-to-date ubuntu packages all the time – that’s the main benefit of using the PPA build service. we’re doing this for RKWard for many years now.

please just ask if you have questions on how to configure the PPA repos.

The PPA has been well for quite a time, util this long-standing bug happens in launchpad itself when syncing between github (git) and launchpad (bzr).

Check reply #12 in this launchpad bug report thread: https://bugs.launchpad.net/bzr-git/+bug/1313861 .

thanks for pointing this out! my apologies for assuming a misconfiguration.

Is there any plan for the future?

It’s said that the launchpad bug can be fixed by manually delete all projects on it and re-create all from scratch. We’ll try to fix it that way within the upcoming weeks.

3 Likes

Hi all, we have fixed our PPA on launchpad. Now you can install the latest version (current 6.2.9) of seafile client on your ubuntu system now.

4 Likes

When can we expect 7.x being uploaded to PPA?

I will have to wait for that, before I upgrade my server to 7.x

3 Likes

I am also interested in 7.x client available in Ubuntu PPA and I would appreciate if the fix “Shutdown cancelled by Seafile” is included. I do not want to compile the client myself, but to install it from a deb. Is that too much?

3 Likes

Hi, could you please fix it again?

1 Like

The packages for Debian and Ubuntu are updated now. Both sync and drive clients are updated.

2 Likes

@Jonathan
the clients for linux are again outdated

1 Like

Still have to use 7.0.4 from November last year. No solution? Are Appimages an alternative?

2 Likes

Now news on this? Are you going to stop supporting Linux?

2 Likes

We’re updating our Linux package building infrastructure. So the packages will be updated later.

1 Like

That would be great! The huge delay of Linux client updates and late support of new Ubuntu versions was nearely driving me into using bloated nextcloud. :see_no_evil:

“Will be updated later” sounds a bit too vague after all these discussions in the past two years where everything was said already but nothing did change. Maybe better to get used to the thought that I have migrate to other “more bloated” services :frowning:

No one is forcing you to stay with Seafile. Competition is good!

Not good are baseless accusations. “nothing did change”? A hell lot has changed! Look at the development that Seafile has taken over the last years! I encourage you to have a look at the changelog! Well, maybe your pet topic was not high on the priority list of the developers, but sorry, capacity is scare. (Are you using Seafile CE?)

What I comprehend even less: Now that Seafile’s CTO good news for you – the package building infrastructure is being updated!! — all you contribute is verbally spitting at the development team? *** head shaking ***

1 Like

The Linux package is quite stable. So there is no need to update it very frequently. Most updates are related to Windows and Mac only.

2 Likes

Did you see this? Linux client packages updated