Upgrading from 4.2.3 to 6.x

Hi, next month we will upgrade our seafile installation from version 4.2.3 to 6.x. I read the changelog and don’t find any (big) pitfalls, but I want to be sure that I don’t miss an important point. The strategy is to update minor-version by minor-version until 6.x is reached.

• Any other hints for updating from 4.x to 6.x?
  • Do we need to adjust the database structure (we use MySQL)?

Do I also need to upgrade the client software step-by-step? E.g. is it advisable to upgrade the server to version 5.x, than upgrade the client, than test the client, than upgrade the server to the next version? We have a large number of (windows and mac) clients, if possible, we want to avoid this procedure.

• So, is it possible to upgrade the client from 4.x to 6.x without interim stages?
  • Or do you expect problems/damaged libraries in this case?

Thank you

The major change is when upgrade from 4.4 to 5.0, where all the config files are moved to a single parent folder. So I suggest you first upgrade from 4.2 to 5.0 and test if everything is okay, then upgrade from 5.0 to 6.0.

The client can be upgrade to 5.1 directly (5.1.4 is the latest version).

Ok, I will follow your suggestion. Thank you for your very fast response! :slight_smile:

A last question: Is it safe to use client version 5.x with server version 6.x? Or should we wait for client 6.x?
Thanks again.

It is safe to use client version 5.x with server 6.x. They are compatible.

Hello there,
I’m trying to do the same thing and have yet another question: Can I update to 5.0 like you suggest with the update scripts included in the downloadable server 6.0.9 on your website. Or would I need to download an older 5.X.X version from somewhere else? And where would that be?
Thanks for your Help!

This is the case.