Versions of file lost after restoring it from trash

Hey,

I am using version 7.0.4 CE server and found out that deleting a file with version history and restoring it, all the versions are gone.

Is this an intended behaviour?

Or do I have a problem with the trash:
Old versions of a file which are older than the history will be removed only if I change the file.
But the deleted versions are completely gone and not seen in the trash.
Running GC does not change anything, only if I empty the trash completely, the GC will delete it.

Hope somebody can help me, many thanks in advance!

Regards,
Wonderwhy

I tested it again and it seems that the file version history is gone but an old snapshot can still recover the old version.
So only the list of the versions is gone but seafile can still reach these versions.

Can someone replicate this? Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
Wonderwhy

This is a known limitation.

Thank you for your reply!

Can / Will this be fixed or is it not fixable?

In pro edition, from 7.0, the history is recorded in database and the problem is solved.

Thanks, good to know!

Will the CE version also get this problem fixed?

This is a bug in my eyes, that’s why I hope this will also be fixed in the CE version. This probably also explains why I have lost my whole history of the files during a larger restructuring of a folder.

1 Like

Yes, if this can also happen when moving files, old snapshots would become inconsistend, which would make snapshots totally useless…

Hi Daniel, I am also seeing this behaviour on the pro edition (I am using 7.1.3). From your post I understand that this shouldn’t be the intended behavior for the pro version (the disappearance of history and availability of file history only though the snapshot). Or is it?.

What file type did you test with?

Have you added the following configuration in seafevents.conf?

[FILE HISTORY]
enabled = true
threshold = 5
suffix = md,txt,...

Aha! I didn’t have this configuration because I migrated from 6.X to 7.X.

Does this mean that the full file is also stored in the database or just a pointer to it? I am worried my database might explode! :slight_smile:

It is only a pointer.

1 Like

I recently installed CE 7.1.4 and the problem is still persists.

The Pro Version does not have the problem, will the CE version also get this problem fixed?

1 Like

I just got seriously burned by this. On my laptop, with Nautilus, I renamed a directory named “family” to “Family” and Seafile’s server assumed that “family” was going to trash while “Family” is a new directory; it did not recognized that it is the same directory being renamed. So it uploads “Family” to the server and moves “family” to the trash. Fine, I will then get back “family” from the trash and rename it using the web interface. But behold, I lost all of my history! This hurts.

Seafile Server 9.0.7 (CE)
Seafile Client 8.0.5 (CE)

2 Likes