We see inconsistencies in SeaDrive gui

Hello,

working with my SeaDrive client (v. 2.0.13) on Windows 10, I see some strange gui behavior that reflects in the client way to work.
In a folder containing Application and other file types, there is no way to “Free up space” for what concerns the Applications.

To better explain what happens I made a small video, URL attached below, in which you can evaluate the cited and other gui glitches, that make the client use annoying.

Is that behaviour normal? Can you infer any setup problem causing such trouble?

Thanks in advance for your support

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AGqHEKy143bzEMc&cid=622924BF8ED553A9&id=622924BF8ED553A9!268&parId=root&action=locate

Hi,

Can you check seadrive.log for any error message when you free up space for application exe files?

Hi,

I see not error message!

To add some detail, if starting from a situation in which an “Application” file type has the status (green on white background), meaning that is cached but not stored locally, if run on it “Free up space” I get in the seadrive.log the following lines, while nothing is added in seadrive-gui.log. The status changes in a progress bar that again becomes the starting icon (green on white background).

[04/26/21 13:25:24] Repo 'My Library' sync state transition from 'synchronized' to 'committing'.
[04/26/21 13:25:24] All events are processed for repo 98ae88d6-8318-470f-8653-ae672436ac60.
[04/26/21 13:25:24] Repo 'My Library' sync state transition from 'committing' to 'synchronized'.

Can you reproduce the same behavior on different Windows machines? One possible cause is that some third party software triggers download the Application exe files.

I easily reproduced the same behaviour on a different PC with Windows 10 Pro, with the following software installed
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqlT1Y6_JCligg5oh87rkUd8z0qI?e=SpyNgG

and the following is the corresponding movie
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqlT1Y6_JCligg217M23pAzWLt8F?e=q0coT5

Just to be clear, I am trying to understand why this behaviour to try to solve much worse problems that my collagues are facing almost every day.

Thanks for your support

Hello,
I re-tested on a freshly installed Windows 10 Pro and verified your hypothesis about some third party software triggering the download of exe files.
I verified the problem did not show up, then I started installing general applications and the first, the antivirus (Sophos) was the guilty one.
To be sure I deactivate the antivirus and the problem disappeared.
When reactivated the problem reappeared.

Now the question, are there specific plans to investigate further why Sophos antivirus causes such malfunction?

Thanks in advance for your support

Actually this can be controlled by Windows. Do you see this notification popup when the file is downloaded? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/automatic-file-download-notifications-in-windows-10-dc73c9c9-1b4c-a8b7-8d8b-b471736bb5a0

I do no see any notification popup.
Moreover, even if the computer (windows 10 pro) is configured to get notifications I do not see Sophos between the notfication senders. I do not know if it possible to add it by hand, but at the moment I did not find a way.

I’m not sure this can be solved by SeaDrive side. Perhaps Sophos uses some drivers that can bypass system constraints. You may try to ask Sophos to not scan the files under the SeaDrive virtual drive folder.

Ok, but I do not see this behavior when I use OneDrive which is installed on the same computer.
In that case Sophos seems not causing any unwanted interaction.

I would like to inform you that together with Sophos support we are investigating the interactions that the antivirus has with SeaDrive. I will keep you informed about the results.

1 Like

Hello,

We also use SOPHOS and have a lot of issues.

Could you tell me results of your investigation ?

Thank you very much in advance,

Céline PORHEL

Hello,

We discovered that (on windows PC) there is a piece of Sophos (Anti-Ransomware) that somehow recognize the SeaDrive activity on files as a virus so tries to recover files that SeaDrive (re)moved so creating duplicates or in some other situations a file removed by the user on a computer appears again after days or weeks in a different computer (synchronized).

We first of all created a sophos configuration to disable the anti-ransomware mechnism on specific PCs, then open a Sophos support case to implement a way to disable the anti-ransomware for specific application (seadrive in our case). I was informed that this implementation will be made available in this days, but strangely in this same days we saw problems again on the computers on we disabled the anti-ransomware mechanism.

We are, again, working on this problem…
Kind regards
Dario Palmisano

Hello,
Thank you for your fast answer.
To you, may the SOPHOS behaviour be the same on MAC than on PC ?
Did you give a try with another AV ? If not, why ?

May thanks for your help,

Céline

Hello,
the mac does not show the same behaviour (like linux), because, from what I remember, those platform do not implement the Anti-Ransomware mechanism.

Other antivirus do not show this problem because they do not implement any Anti-Ransomware protection.

Regards

Dario

Thank you for answers, Dario.

Some further questions :
1- Have you ever had those issues on Mac ? With which kind of AV ?
2- Did you confirm you don’t want to try another AV because they do not have Anti-Ransomware functionnality ?

According to web home page of SOPHOS, SOPHOS does have this Anti-Ransomware functionnality on Mac computer also.

Thank you,
Céline PORHEL

We did not notice those issues on Mac (always using Sophos). I do not know why!
Kind regards
Dario