Windows client 7.0 constantly showing "Failed to index file" notifications for temporary/short-lived files

I just recently reinstalled Windows 10, and with it Seafile client 7.0 (was previously using 6.x without this issue).

Windows is constantly showing “Failed to index file” notifications from the Seafile client. These files seem to all be temporary or short-lived, such as when a new file is quickly renamed or deleted. For example, using File Explorer to create a new folder (named “New Folder” by default), then renaming it to something else, causes a notification to pop up, “Failed to index file ! [path]\New Folder”. Some portable apps, like AIMP (while playing music) or Notepad++ (while saving a file), appear to create a number of these short-lived files, and cause this notification to pop up constantly while running.

Am I doing something wrong here, or is there a way to fix this? (Other than turning off all notifications from the Seafile client, I mean.) Client 6.x didn’t have this issue, but before I report it as a bug, I just want to make sure it’s not just a matter of some setting I’ve overlooked or other user error.

Thanks!

1 Like

Have you passed the server also in version 7 ?

Upgrading the server to 7.0.2 seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks!

This is a bug in 7.0 client. We make notification when fail to index a file. But in some cases this is normal and we don’t need the notification. We’ll improve it in later version.

1 Like

Thank you for the replies. I was actually just about to follow up by saying that, contrary to my post above, upgrading the server to 7.0.2 didn’t fix the problem entirely. I still get “Failed to index file” notifications with the 7.0 client, just not as frequently. (As one example, running AIMP portable causes a notification to pop up during nearly every song for …/Profile/AlbumArts.db-journal and …/Profile/PLS/~Default.aimppl4). It sounds like you’re working on it, though!

I am having the same problem with MacOs client 7.0.2 and Seafile Server 7.0.4 CE on Ubuntu Linux. It mostly affects MS Office files, which get marked as “failed” and stay this way. The only work around I found is to rename the file (do any change in the name or extension) and then rename it back.

What errors do you see in the seafile.log?

Sorry, I’ve downgraded since then to 6.2 to be able to work. Will try to reproduce over the next weekend.

As far as I recall there was nothing at all in log file which could be attributed to the file issue, neither by time nor by file name…