Accessing options without the systray icon

Is is possible to access the options of the seafile applet which are normally available by right-clicking on the system tray icon from within the seafile applet itself? (Or eventually from the console or a config file?)

This would be very helpful since currently there is a bug in my Linux operating system preventing the seafile applet to get into the systray. Also some users do not have a system tray.

1 Like

Maybe that’s helpful in the meantime: https://blogs.seafile.com/2016/07/13/how-to-fix-tray-icon-display-issue-on-ubuntu-14-04/

I would like to push the topic.

Is there any possibility to reach the menu options of the Seafile client without using the tray icon? I’m using GNOME with an extension to hide “legacy” tray icons. Just an impression on how this is working with other programs on GNOME. You just click on the application name in the top panel.

Rhythmbox

• Shows navigation items
  • Shows settings
  • Shows about and help

Seafile

• Just shows “Exit program” which is standard

Seafile client is written with QT and not GTK like GNOME uses, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Are you kidding me? I never knew, that there are more settings available…
Why does this have such a low priority? Especially as nobody - at least on Gnome - is able to see these settings…

1 Like

I use gnome and am able to see the settings. Think gnomes default configuration has the tray menu on the bottom left.

See

It is hidden by default, there are only a few pixels which signify the tray bar. But in GNOME it is called legacy tray bar because of reasons. Perhaps it will be removed in newer GNOME shell versions some time.
But even if not, it is approved as good design to make every menu option accessible within the main program window. :slight_smile: Something like a gear icon next to the refresh button would be very nice!

2 Likes

Push - Because of a new announcement by the GNOME team.

The GNOME team announced that the tray bar will be deprecated by GNOME 3.26. This means that status icons will not be shown by default starting with that version. You can read the whole topic here: Status Icons and GNOME – Form and Function

There is also a new library called libcloudprovider which allows to integrate cloud services a bit more into the system.

This topic shows the guidelines for developers who want to make sure their program is GNOME-compatible: Initiatives/StatusIconMigration/Guidelines - GNOME Wiki!

It states - for example like I mentioned in my last post here:

Ensure that all application functionality can be accessed from the application’s windows, and that no actions or options are only in the status icon menu.

I hope you think about what that means to the Seafile client. Ubuntu will be based on GNOME in the future. It’s also Debian’s default desktop and the same goes for Fedora.

Please have a look at the status icon migration guidelines for GNOME (second hyperlink above) @Jonathan. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Not a very wise decision by Gnome as it breaks compatibility with quite some cross platform programs.

Users who absolutely need the tray icons will still have the possibilty to use the GNOME shell extension TopIcons Plus which pushes the icons to the top panel. But again, we don’t know how long that will work.

I second this! It would be good by design to be able to access the settings (and other menu options) via the interface of the app, too.

1 Like

@epinez Thanks for the reminder. We’ll make the settings button available in the main window on Linux.

5 Likes

Please consider using the libcloudproviders interface to integrate Seafile nicely with Gnome. The “Legacy tray icons” are already disabled in Fedora 27.
Here is how Nextcloud does it: https://github.com/nextcloud/client/pull/55

1 Like

Since I’m a heavy Gnome user, I can only support this request. :wink:

Gnome totally failed it. It is and was a very very dumb idea to deprecate the tray icons. Only consequence is: More software ported from windows to linux does not work properly or developers don’t event take the time anymore.

1 Like

Is this a common use case to port Windows software to linux systems? I think most of the Open Source / free software is developed with heavy linux support. Windows-only software is most of the time closed source.
To my mind the tray bar only belongs to system applications - I have hidden application icons in the tray bar for like 10 years now. I’m really glad they removed this legacy tray bar now. :slight_smile:

Yes. There are quite some very useful applications using the tray icon which I use on daily basis. Some of them are Seafile (of course), TeamViewer, KeePass 2 and JetBrains ToolBox.

Hi, I still can’t access settings from the main window. I dont have a system tray. Chromebook’s which can run linux apps also don’t have a system tray.

Can this be fixed and following added to the main window:

• Ability to access settings dialogs (ie network proxy etc.)
  • Ability to shut down the Seafile client.

Currently on a chromebook, when you close the seafile window, it does not shut down, still continues to run.
and you cannot access network settings to change proxy (for example between office & work)

3 Likes

still having this issue with the latest client (7). There seems to be no way to access the settings from the main GUI and I have no tray icon.

same for me: I have “Seafile-client” in the top gnome3-bar, but no settings button, no way to enter settings.

Since Seafile was not able to provide a solution in 4+ years, here’s mine:
Open the ~/.config/Seafile/Seafile Client.conf file and add the following lines:

[Behavior]
hideMainWindowWhenStarted=true

Works like a charm. It’s also not only a Gnome issue, but also for other window managers that don’t rely on tray icons like Sway. I don’t see a reason why you shouldn’t be able to access the settings via the main window. Other settings can be find out via the source code.