Any plans to update Windows Seafile Server to 6.x?

Hi,

I would love to try the new seafile drive client, but unfortunately my server is still running on Windows (still because I am trying to learn linux in a virtualbox, need to make sure that I can handle it well before I switch my server).

Are there any plans to the windows version of the server?
Thanks a lot for your great cloud solution!
Rüdiger

We still have issues with the Linux community edition. When all the problem is solved, we will upgrade the Windows server.

This is really BAD news. The main reason why I moved from Owncloud to Seafile was the native Windows support (which owncloud gave up). Seafile runs meaningful only on windows server, not windows 10 (IIS, https, backup, 24h running, power consumption… - many reasons). Windows Server 2016 is only now out - and not a really needed or wanted upgrade path for people using the 2012 version. And anyway only supported sometimes in the future.

This means in fact that whoever uses this on Windows Server will need to see for another product.

I’m really disappointed!

Wanni

Very bad new for me too…
I have seafile 5.1.3 running on windows2008 x86.
We moved from owncloud due to missing windows support.
I was waiting for 6.x in order to use seadrive app.
Regards
G

:frowning: I also don’t like this news…

In this case, it would be very helpful (I guess not only for me), to provide a detailed manual how to migrate from windows to linux (I know there is a short manual available). But for example, how can i migrate my current MySQL database to linux? I don’t want to resync all the data and create the users again.

Sorry, I must have missed something. The OP asked if the Windows Server was going to be upgraded to v6 and the answer was yes, but only after several issues are corrected on the v6 linux edition.

This sounds like good news to me?? Whats the problem? Work through the platform issues, whatever they are, then, once stable, release the Windows server version.

I suspect there are a large, possibly VERY large number of refugees from Owncloud here now running the Windows version. I know I am certainly one of those. For serious windows admins, working in shops with not insignificant windows based infrastructure, the whizz-bang idea of simply moving to Linux is never going to fly - as I’m sure the Owncloud people have found out, to their own detriment. The reason is quite simple - all your security infrastructure, backup infrastructure, not to even mention documentation and processes are platform centric. Chucking in a random Linux or Unix box is unmaintainable and no CTO would allow it.

For home/hobby use, yes, maybe, whatever floats your individual boat - but in commercial? Not likely.

So, folks, again, unless I’ve missed a statement about the Seafile Windows Server going EOL, I’m happy that we’re going to end up with a stable version that comes out a little later. Yep, sure, I’d love to test out the new SeaDrive, but I can wait, a long looooong time so long as I get stable and secure product at the end.

Strange thing happened here: Daniel Pan posted in this threat yesterday that the Windows version is EOL with 5.1.3 and will be replaced by a Docker version in the future. This post is now deleted.
So is there a rethinking?

Aha. Right. Thanks for responding. I am going to have to closely watch this space. If the Windows server version moves to EOL then that will be the end of that - Windows admins won’t and shouldn’t throw random foreign servers into their mix and will almost certainly move cloud platform

Like you, I moved from owncloud because of the windows support.
Eagerly awaiting 6 for the seadrive.
Hopefully the deleted post means good news?

I hope too that you will continue to support Windows natively.
I thought about moving to Linux but have issues with software RAID tests on Linux in my Virtualbox.
Thanks,
Ruediger

It is updated to version 6.0.7 :slight_smile:
Works great!

Big thanks to the developer :sunglasses:

After update to version 6.0.7 my library are no longer displayed.

At the same time all of my library are visible in the administrator settings.

Besides not working link to a page Links (System Admin).

Also updated the Windows version to 6.0.7. I also have the error on the library page and my seafile client cannot get information about the libraries.

Looks like I have some issues with timezone settings?

2016-12-29 15:58:55,223 [ERROR] django.request:256 handle_uncaught_exception Internal Server Error: /api2/repos/
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\SeafileProgram\seafile-server-6.0.7\seahub\thirdpart\django-1.8.10-py2.7.egg\django\core\handlers\base.py”, line 132, in get_response
response = wrapped_callback(request, *callback_args, **callback_kwargs)
File “C:\SeafileProgram\seafile-server-6.0.7\seahub\thirdpart\django-1.8.10-py2.7.egg\django\views\decorators\csrf.py”, line 58, in wrapped_view
return view_func(*args, **kwargs)
File “C:\SeafileProgram\seafile-server-6.0.7\seahub\thirdpart\django-1.8.10-py2.7.egg\django\views\generic\base.py”, line 71, in view
return self.dispatch(request, *args, **kwargs)
File “C:\SeafileProgram\seafile-server-6.0.7\seahub\seahub\api2\base.py”, line 23, in dispatch
response = super(APIView, self).dispatch(*a, **kw)
File “C:\SeafileProgram\seafile-server-6.0.7\seahub\thirdpart\djangorestframework-3.3.2-py2.7.egg\rest_framework\views.py”, line 466, in dispatch
response = self.handle_exception(exc)
File “C:\SeafileProgram\seafile-server-6.0.7\seahub\seahub\api2\base.py”, line 20, in handle_exception
return super(APIView, self).handle_exception(exc)
File “C:\SeafileProgram\seafile-server-6.0.7\seahub\thirdpart\djangorestframework-3.3.2-py2.7.egg\rest_framework\views.py”, line 463, in dispatch
response = handler(request, *args, **kwargs)
File “C:\SeafileProgram\seafile-server-6.0.7\seahub\seahub\api2\views.py”, line 440, in get
“mtime_relative”: translate_seahub_time(r.last_modify),
File “C:\SeafileProgram\seafile-server-6.0.7\seahub\seahub\base\templatetags\seahub_tags.py”, line 308, in translate_seahub_time
titletime = DateFormat(val).format(‘r’)
File “C:\SeafileProgram\seafile-server-6.0.7\seahub\thirdpart\django-1.8.10-py2.7.egg\django\utils\dateformat.py”, line 54, in init
self.timezone = get_default_timezone()
File “C:\SeafileProgram\seafile-server-6.0.7\seahub\thirdpart\django-1.8.10-py2.7.egg\django\utils\lru_cache.py”, line 125, in wrapper
result = user_function(*args, **kwds)
File “C:\SeafileProgram\seafile-server-6.0.7\seahub\thirdpart\django-1.8.10-py2.7.egg\django\utils\timezone.py”, line 177, in get_default_timezone
return pytz.timezone(settings.TIME_ZONE)
File “C:\SeafileProgram\seafile-server-6.0.7\seahub\thirdpart\pytz-2016.1-py2.7.egg\pytz_init_.py”, line 180, in timezone
raise UnknownTimeZoneError(zone)
UnknownTimeZoneError: ‘Asia/Shanghai’

UPDATE 16h16: I added the following line to seahub_settings.py and now everything is working again.

TIME_ZONE = ‘UTC’

1 Like

Also I added “TIME_ZONE = ‘UTC’” and working well.

Good morning!
Ran update some days ago. Very happy.
Thank you very much.

The only issue is that I can’t install seadrive on my w2008 x86 server in order to directly import folders and data (server is used on WAN, not LAN).

Regards
G

Setting TIME_ZONE = ‘Europe/Rome’ (i am in italy) the client’ list (desktop and mobile) is okay too.

On Windows Server 2012 R2 Essential I was never able to use anything else than “UTC”. When you enter ‘Europe/Berlin’ (or Europe/Rome) I always get the same error as above.
Has anybody found a working time zone on WS2012R2 other then UTC?

Have you installed the update https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=46148 ?

The update applies to x64 devices only… my host is windows 2008 32-bit.
Thnx.
Happy new year’s eve :slight_smile:

Good morning…

Any plan to upgrade seafile server for windows?
I’d like a lot to have redis support for seahub…

:smiley: