Configuration of server problem

I have problem with setup Seafile Windows Server.
I followed all instructions in downloading and setting up server for windows (https://manual.seafile.com/deploy_windows/download_and_setup_seafile_windows_server.html) and I can’t connect to server via browser - last step in manual.
When I define IP adress for hhtp://mylocalIP:8000 I receive “This site can’t be reached ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT”

Any ideas what is wrong?

Might be your firewall. Have you opened the port?

Yes, I opened this port.
Still have same problem.

It’s frustrating because I solved this problem last time, but now I don’t remember how to make it.

Can you connect to it internally using the internal IP address?

Or are you trying this from the machine you installed it on? http://127.0.0.1:8000

I’ve installed everything on VM.
Linux, mysql and seafile.
And I established default IP and port on 192.168.1.101:8000 as manual recommended to do this.
My ufw is inactive. I also allow ports 8000(seahub) and 8082 (seafile).
Is there anything else what I can do to let this port pass? Because I’m sure its because of that.

Yes, but what are you keying into the browser to try to access it? Also, are you trying externally or internally? Do you get different results when you try?

Also, did you assign your PC which serves as the server a static IP address of 192.168.1.101? Have you checked to make certain that 101 is not part of the DHCP list in your router? It’s best to assign an IP outside the DHCP range.

Since you are not using a domain name for your service_url, in order to access it externally, you will have to set up port forwarding in your router and use the public IP to access it. Externally, you will use your public IP which will then forward your requests to the Seafile server. Internally, you’ll need to use the internal IP address.

Any other details about your setup would help us narrow this down. As it stands, that error means that the server could not be found on that IP and port number you keyed in your browser, and those two things will be completely different depending on whether you are trying it from a remote location or the local network.

One other thing. You stated that you installed the Windows Server version, but then in your last comment, you mention Linux and VM…

So, for clarification, what is the OS you have Seafile installed on? Are you installing it under a virtual Windows machine inside of Linux? Or, are you installing it in a virtual Linux inside of Windows?

Damn, my fault. I wrote Windows, but I meant Linux on VM, because my default OS is Windows.

Ok… So, you are running Linux in a VM under Windows, and you have Seafile installed on Linux. Am I correct?

Yes, that’s correct.
I already install seafile server with manual, and can’t connect via firefox on my local host 192.168.1.101:8000

Ok… In the beginning of this thread, you sent a link to the Windows installation of Seafile. So, if you installed it under Linux, that changes everything. About 4 or 5 comments ago, I asked for a lot of information. When you get the chance, can you answer the questions for me?

I have an event planned tonight, so I’ll be out of pocket for the nex 4 or 5 hours. Just respond when you can and when I get back to the house, I’ll help you through this. We just have to narrow this down, and it’s probably something simple.

Thank you for your help.

I just follow the manual and installed and set up seafile server in way which is shown in this document.
I didn’t change anything. During installation process I write manually my ip (just rewrite default) and port number (default).
And my biggest problem is that one month ago I had same problem but I get through it in some simple way. But I can’t remember how I make it. So now I’m spending fourth day trying to solve this.
I can’t answer to your questions in other way, because:
1/ I’m beginner in programming - I’m learning
2/ I’m beginner in Linux - it’s my first contact with this OS

If this answer is not enough, maybe you can tell me how to get information you need.
If not, there is no problem. I will write on other programming forum where I can find somebody to help me. :slight_smile:

I can help you. I’ve been doing support for 30 years now. :slight_smile: BTW, this is a network issue rather than a programming issue.

So, we’ve established that you installed Seafile Server in Linux which you are running as a VM under Windows.

How much do you know about router configurations?

So, let’s do these two things first:

• From Windows, right click on the icon in the bottom left corner. Then click search. Then type “cmd” in the search bar. Hit enter. It should bring up a command prompt. Type this in the command prompt: ipconfig /all. You may have several entries. I’m looking for the one called IPv4 address… It should start with 192.168. What is the result of that one?

• Next, go into your Linux VM and from the prompt, type hostname -I. That’s a capital I, not an L, btw. Hard to tell on these forums. If you are using a graphical desktop, then you’ll need to find the icon called terminal or something similar before running the last command. It may be different depending on your configuration. Either way, you’ll need that command prompt.

Post both the number you got from Windows here and the one you got from Linux here.

I have 192.168.0.20 in Windows and 10.0.2.15 in Linux.
Very thank you for your help. :slight_smile:

Two completely different subnets. And, neither of the IP addresses match what you set up on Seafile. There’s your problem. Your service URL will need to match the IP address of the machine you installed Seafile on. If that’s Linux, then your service url should be http://10.0.2.15:8000.

Additionally, unless you have configured static routes in your router and/or via one of the OS’s, you won’t be able to access Seaflie from any other subnet than what you have it configured… For example, your Windows machine will not be able to access Seafile internally. And, if the router is unaware of 10.0.2 subnet, then you’ll either need to reconfigure your router so that you can port forward. Most likely, your Windows address is the one your router is issuing, and the 10.0.2 is sitting out there all by itself unless you either have two networks or you have configured a VLAN somewhere.

Thank you very, very much.
As I thought, it was a simple mistake.

Thank you again and have a nice day. I’m having it right now. :slight_smile:

No problem… I’m betting that your Windows machine is able to connect to the internet. So, that’s probably the valid subnet. What I would do is change the IP address on the Linux box to 192.168.1.15, change the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and change the gateway to the IP of your router, usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.1.254. You’ll need to find out which on it is.

Then, once you’ve completed that, change your service URL to http://192.168.1.15:8000. Then, try it internally from say your Windows machine. It should work at that point, and all that will be left to do is set up port forwarding to 192.168.1.15 on your router so that you can access it externally.