Contacts sync will turn itself off immediately

Syncing photos works great. Unfortunately, not synchronizing contacts. As soon as the synchronization of the contacts is switched on and the corresponding library has been selected, the contact sync switches itself off again. No error message is displayed. How can this be fixed?

Android 7.1.2 (LineageOS), Seafile App Version 2.1.14, Seafile Server 6.0.9.

Were you able to fix your problem?

I have the same issue here on both my devices.

1. Android 7.1.2 (Lineage OS), Seafile App 2.2.1, Seafile Server 6.2.5
  2. Android 8.0.0 (OxygenOS), Seafile App 2.2.1, Seafile Server 6.2.5

@sesom42 @thanatos - any luck with this? I have the same issue.

This is a known bug and has previously been reported.

Thanks. Would you know whether this bug is tracked somewhere? I had a look at the GitHub repos but did not find anything relevant.

I’m not certain. I would have to look. What usually happens is someone creates an issue and it’s assigned a number. Whether or not that has happened, I don’t know. I’ve just seen it posted here many times and the devs are aware of it.

I wonder if this is not a problem with authorizations (possibly because there was a change in the way they are handled in 7.0)

I just checked and Seafile did not ask me for the authorization to access my contacts (so it could not have exported them)

Good question. I haven’t dug that deep into the code to see how Seafile accesses contacts. Haven’t check Android logs either. I use Google for contact storage and a backup program to backup my entire phone, so I have no need of contact backups. Someone had posted here that it wasn’t working, and I tried it. I’m on Oreo, so I thought it might be related to that. However, other users are reporting that it doesn’t work in 7 either.

The issue is actually filed at https://github.com/haiwen/seadroid/issues/680. It is a few months old so I guess the concept of contact sync was abandoned.

I also synchronize with Google and for 12 years I did not have a problem. It is more by curiosity than anything else so the bug is not a showstopper.

1 Like

It could also be an Android issue. Google locked down what third party apps can and can’t access starting with version 7.