Digital Ocean Spaces as a backend

Digital Ocean spaces says that it is compatible with s3. I know seafile can use amazon as a backend. Has anyone tried hosting seafile on DO using spaces as a backend? If not, does this seam feasible?

1 Like

Seafile needs adjustment to support custom S3 storage backends.
I asked for this to be implemented in another post.

Does this mean it does in fact work with the 3-user pro version? That just might do it for me.

So far it is not possible as some Amazon S3 specific things are hardcoded (at least that’s what I’ve read in @DerDanilo’s post) .

1 Like

I tried Digital Ocean Spaces with riofs, goofy an fuse. But was unable to do the same with Seafile. Can anyone let me know what kind of underlying technology is used by Seafile. So far I know they are using Django for Seahub.
According to link from the manual we need following settings (I was unsuccessful in doing that many times.):

[commit_object_backend]
name = s3
bucket = my-commit-objects
key_id = your-key-id
key = your-secret-key
host = 192.168.1.123:8080
path_style_request = true
memcached_options = --SERVER=localhost --POOL-MIN=10 --POOL-MAX=100
[fs_object_backend]
name = s3
bucket = my-fs-objects
key_id = your-key-id
key = your-secret-key
[block_backend]
name = s3
bucket = my-block-objects
key_id = your-key-id
key = your-secret-key

If anyone has already integraeted them please post solution.
Thank You In advance.

I think it is currently not possible to define a custom storage. This has to be fixed from the devs and it should also be available in the CE.

Then wait is all we can do.
Has anyone filed bug report ?
@DerDanilo can you file the bug report ?
Let us do the same in Github, what do you say ?

I did not change my opinion on things like this since I started getting involved in the community.
The DEVs need to change their way of how they do things if they seriously want to sell this product.
The fact that they do not reply on important topics shows enough to get the picture. Or even telling paying customers that they did not have the time to test…
And using paying customers as guinea pigs will continue to scare customer away.

3 Likes

Yes, communication can be improved, but obviously not every feature request can be implemented and it can take some time to implement these they want to implement.

1 Like

Till the time I will try Syncthing, and see if that works out.

If they cannot implement it. Let the community do for them. I am willing to work on it. But not disclosing basic information so that we can work on it is not good.

I’m not sure what is being disclosed.

Please let us know where are all the hard-coded settings for aws, we will change them to accommodate other providers.
Just lets us know list of files we need to change.
This will encourage more people to use Seafile as Seafile + S3 ( 5$ spaces from DigitalOcean) will be deadly combination against google drive.

I still don’t understand it. All backends other than filesystem are part of the professional edition.

It will be awesome, if they implement in the future.
:slight_smile: