HOW TO: Best practise Seafile Server manual

That is a good start.
I invited you to my Seafile Manual clone, please accept and push your changes to my repo so we can work better and faster on this. More via PM.

@DerDanilo I accepted and uploaded my work. Feel free to change it as you like. Unfortunately I’m busy again until end of next week, but afterwards it looks like there is some time for me to continue.

Hi,
Why have you installed Seafile in /opt instead of the home folder? Is it any advantage?

/opt folder is for third-party apps. You can but it’s not standard way to install thirdparty apps to home folder or any app inside. Home folder is used for user’s apps and enviroment configuration and files(Documents, images, etc). It’s UNIX standard folder scheme and use case.

Here you can see UNIX system folder tree.

1 Like

O I see, but besides that it’s not a risk to have it in the Home folder?
I have installed it in the home folder already, and moving it to the /opt folder I guess can be a mess now as I have been running Seafile for some time now.

No, if you run seafile under same user theres no difference it, can only confuse another/new system admins which expecting it under /opt.

1 Like

Ok, good.
Well it’s in a VM and the only thing that are running are Seafile under a user named Seafile.

But thanks for the /opt folder clearance I’ll use it in the future instead of the home folder.

I just want to know whether you are still working on this project. I’m hosting my own little wiki for my IT projects and I would like to add my notes to this HOW TO, if possible.

Everytime I needed to set up seafile from scratch I hated reading the official manual, so I think this projects needs more attention.

Additionally: I really like the idea of using GRAV. This would be great!

Yes, but it got stuck during the last weeks. Its up to me to do the next steps. Unfortunately (for the project) I had too much work to do for my customers.

For those of you, who are interrested in what the main work was: A server 4 * 10 TiB disks in RAID5 for data, Debian 9, Seafile Server, Samba, Seafile Client syncing Seafile Data to Samba storage, openvpn, etc. That took some time.

I’m very sorry for the delay, but now it’s done and it looks that I have time next week to finish the remaining parts of my work.

Sounds good, but also you did miss one important thing in the installation guide that almost everyone are missing.
It’s after the install of MariaDB.
and it’s

sudo mysql_secure_installation

1 Like

I have started a similar project but for Ubuntu and I’m writing it from scratch and also I have written about security and software around Seafile.

1 Like

Any news on that one? Happy to contribute.

You are welcome to extend the manual.

Yes I released the manual a while ago. You are welcome to extend.

https://seafile.readthedocs.io/en/latest/