IPV6 & WAN configuration

I already filtered 8000 & 8082 ports on my modem/router.
I put my ipv6 address in the SERVICE_URL and in the FILE_SERVER_ROOT, restarted the server and I am not able to connect to the ipv6 http. Only the LAN ipv4 work.
I’m an experienced user of Linux but I never learnt networking.
The seafile-server-6.3.4 is running on a raspi 2 with raspbian.
Any help is greatly appreciated

Have you setup nginx?

I’ve discovered that my ConnectBox policy does that the ipv6 aren’t static and can’t be set to static, the only thing that can be made static are the ipv4 addresses but one can’t do port forwarding on it.

And didn’t manage to set the nginx server up with ipv6 addresses.

I think I need to get a DDNS for ipv6, don’t I?

I have ddns for ipv6 but it doesn’t work either… Haven’t bothered about it since ipv4 works with my connectbox setup and nginx.

I use dynv6 for both ipv4 and ipv6 ddns. They provide a little bash script I use on my Ubuntu seafile Server

You talk about a ConnectBox. Are you a UnityMedia customer and speak German? If yes, this tutorial I wrote the other day may be helpful for you: https://www.datamate.org/aus-ipv4-in-ipv6-serverzugriff-aus-dem-mobilfunknetz/

1 Like

Thanks, yes, I will give it a try when I have same time or I need it really bad :grin:

@mulmer Your other posts are often in pretty good German. I realize that :wink: My post was more directed at @t_c

Thank you for the link @rdb, it seems really well explained

The information in that Link assume that you dont have an IPv4 adress and that your ISP tunnels your IPv6 traffic to IPv4 Destinations.

Communication from outside to you, your Gateway / Server / PC is not part of this concept.
“normal” people anyway just communicate to the outside and consume stuff there.

The link also uses a external service where you pay for and have to setup stuff… and maybe also have a PI running at home
I found their business model and cost structure not very clear and the technical docs where very wierd…
I didn’t focus that route anymore.

The second option i considered was setting up this stuff your self.
You need a application called “6tunnel” that can be installed on a external hosted root server:
the command is something like this:
6tunnel IPv4Port IPv6Adress IPv6Port
I thought I rather pay 3-4 € for a root server and do-it-myself more likely than way option 1.
yet I never really got it running although the root server had and ipv4 and ipv6 and I had all i needed. Don’t now why i gave, think there was not much resources on 6tunnel and not enough people use it to exchange when problems accur.

The third option I considered (the one I finally gone with) was, finding out how to get an IPv4 besides the IPv6 from my ISP. In the ISPs forum I found you can get IPv4 but only when you subcribe and little extra tarif for 3€/mounth that doubles your upload.
since the money compared to the root server was similar and the extra upload comes in handy when you upload stuff I ordered that little tarif option and then called the hotline asking for IPv4.

After a few tries one guy checked if the upload option was active and then enabeled IPv4 on my Modem.
From that point things went quite smooth.

BUT I live in fear the they will some day revoke this practise and let me in the rain.
I think then I will consider option 2 (virtual root + 6tunnel) again.

so far I just use ipv4

I am not sure this is a fair description of what the blog post is all about. My blog post explains how to access a server (i.e., a Seafile server) sitting behind an IPv6-only / DS-Lite gateway from an IPv4 only network (i.e., most mobile phone networks in Germany, Austria and Switzerland). So in most cases, there are two ISPs involved. Also: for all practical purposes, the connection request comes from the mobil network - which is IPv4.

What? That is exactly what my explanation is all about! The setup presented in my blog post makes it possible for devices in IPv4 networks to connect to your server in an IPv6 network.

Now we agree …

… to just disagree again. feste-ip.de provides an server-based service and charge for it? You buy credits and use them as you go? This is not clear? I am in no way affiliated to the provider of the service. I am just a customer - a happy customer though. Anyway…

Point is: For all those punished with a DS-Lite internet connection at home (and not able to get real Dual Stack), the described approch is likely to be the most doable way to establish a connection to their home server from mobile networks - at least in the DACH region. The fee is modest and pales in comparison to setting up this server yourself.

First of all I didn’t want to discredit your blog post. To be honest it was to long for me to read in detail and I just ran over it and grabbed the main scenario.
I posted my experience in the field and that’s it.

It up to every own individual to make its / their own experience and find good solution. I also might someday have to go back and reconsider the service feste-Ip.de

I just wanted to show alternatives

No worries. I didn’t take it personally.
We’ve implemented this setup with several customers and it just works. It pain-free and simple. In other words: It deserved some defending.